BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
fabianovs
Calcite | Level 5

Dears, 

I was running my program in SAS Studio 3.5 ( SAS 9.4) and the error occurred. 

My Work Area has triple size of table used in the program. 

7 REPLIES 7
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

So what does your program do?

You probably need to expand the disk for your saswork. If you just have triple the size of this particular data set, chances are that you in a near future will need to work on a bigger data set.

Data never sleeps
Reeza
Super User

What is the size of your data. Is it SAS studio installed on a server in your company or SAS UE?

fabianovs
Calcite | Level 5

My select return 20Gb and my Work Area has 15Gb. 

I use SAS Studio installed on a server in my company. 

Can I allocate space in other Linux directories ? 

Wich are best pratices to config my Work resources ?  

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Usually WORK disk space is shared between users. Allocating space per user is an inefficient approach. You should talk to your SAS server administrator to find out what options you have for getting more space.

Ksharp
Super User

Sorry. Please Ignore me . I enter wrong position. 

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Triple is not enough. When doing a PROC SORT, you need

- the space where the file is stored

- the space for the SORT utility file, which is at least the size of the original dataset, more if compress=yes was used)

- the space for the resulting file

Although the utility file and the old file will be deleted when the step has finished, at peak you need triple + reserve, or you will fail.

PROC SQL will also at times create huge utility files that can easily crack the limit of your WORK.

Possible remedies

- increase your WORK

- use a second file system for utility files (UTILLOC in your SAS config controls this)

- help yourself with some tricks like the TAGSORT option for PROC SORT

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 6 in conversation