Write and run SAS programs in your web browser

Base to Studio: Code that works in Base but not Studio

New Contributor

Base to Studio: Code that works in Base but not Studio

I inherited a snippet of code written in BASE (see below).  It works fine.  I need to run the code in STUDIO. Of course I'm brand new to the company and to STUDIO.

Here is the code:

PROC IMPORT OUT= WORK.Members
DATAFILE= "\\maskedforsecurity.txt"
DBMS=TAB REPLACE;
GETNAMES=YES;
DATAROW=2;
RUN;

DATA MEMBERS;
SET MEMBERS;
IDMEDICALC = PUT(MEMBERID, 12.);
RUN;

Here is what happened in Studio:

1. I could not get the "proc import out =" statement to work, so I imported manually.

2. The second statement creates a two variable file with no data (Originally, there were 300 some cases and 5 variables)

My questions:

a. what am I doing wrong?

b. where is a good resource that outlines differences in code behavior between Base and Studio?

Super User

Re: Base to Studio: Code that works in Base but not Studio

I can't address the IMPORT problem, but I wouldn't be surprised of SAS Studio can't run PROC IMPORT.

For your second issue, it's likely you forgot the semicolon at the end of the DATA statement.

Super User

In my experience SAS code works identically between Base / EG / SAS Studio assuming that they are all using the same SAS servers with the same set up.

Super User

When claiming that something isn't working - please attach the log!
Data never sleeps
New Contributor

Thank you.

Understood.

Being new to SASS, these boards, and my job, I debated including the log.

I would need to edit information out because I work for a state govt entity in health care and security policies are excruciatingly strict.

What's the minimum log information required?

s

Valued Guide

How about doing a "find/replace" of all the privacy-related filenames and varnames?  Just use consistent, but unique replacement characters consistently throughout the log.

But more generally one is interested in the sas notes, warnings, and error messages - and (more problematic for your secutiy issues) the lines of code that precipitated those messages.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 5 in conversation