BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
jlc_11364
Calcite | Level 5

I am new to sas studio, I was wondering how to import/export data/programs from/to my local pc folders in VM sas studio. This could be obvious to you, but please help.

Thanks-jc

14 REPLIES 14
BrianGaines
SAS Employee

Hi @jlc_11364,

When you say VM SAS Studio, are you referring to SAS University Edition?

-Brian

BrianGaines
SAS Employee

@jlc_11364

Assuming that you are referring to SAS University Edition, you need to make sure to follow the installation steps to set up the "myfolders" folder on your local PC that will be linked to the virtual machine.

Please see the instructions and videos Step 1 and Step 3 of the installation overview.

If you still have issues, please post back here.

Thanks,

-Brian

jlc_11364
Calcite | Level 5

I set up the myfolders in my local c drive during the installation. The question is where in the sas studio can I look up myfolders.

Please advise.

Thanks-Jianlin

BrianGaines
SAS Employee

Hi @jlc_11364,

Look in the "Server Files and Folders" section of the navigation pane on the left.  There is a "My Folders" folder that corresponds to the myfolders folder on your local PC:

myfolders.png

Do you see this in SAS Studio?

Best,

-Brian

jlc_11364
Calcite | Level 5

Yes, I got this now. Thanks for the help.

Jianlin

BrianGaines
SAS Employee

@jlc_11364 (Jianlin),

No problem, I'm glad to help!  And I'm glad that you figured it out.

-Brian

jlc_11364
Calcite | Level 5

I got error when I try to establish the libname, see the log below. Did I specify the wrong path there?

Thanks-Jianlin

libname MYLIB "C:\Users\USWU56990\Documents\SASUniversityEdition\myfolders\proj1";

BrianGaines
SAS Employee

@jlc_11364,

Yes, the VM cannot see the full myfolders path on your local PC.  Instead, there is a special path to myfolders that is used within SAS University Edition:  /folders/myfolders/   

You can see this if you go to "Server Files and Folders" in the navigation pane on the left, right-click "My Folders" and then select "Properties."

So the LIBNAME statement would look like the following:

libname MYLIB "/folders/myfolders/proj1";

Did that work for you?

-Brian

jlc_11364
Calcite | Level 5

it worked. Thanks a lot.

jlc_11364
Calcite | Level 5

Actually, I am planning to play with a large dataset using the university edition. I wonder if there is a limitation on the data size with this edition. Please advise.

Jianlin

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

@jlc_11364 wrote:

Actually, I am planning to play with a large dataset using the university edition. I wonder if there is a limitation on the data size with this edition. Please advise.

Jianlin

There is no limit. But the virtual machine has limited memory and limited space in the WORK library.

Just make sure to write your datasets and large outputs to the folder that is mapped to your real disk and it should work fine.  Only use WORK for small datasets.

jlc_11364
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks Tom for the reply. I understand that the input and output files should be directed to the local folder. But if I have a need to run regression or large data sorting on the virtual machine, do you think it can not be handled?

Thanks-Jianlin

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

@jlc_11364 wrote:

Thanks Tom for the reply. I understand that the input and output files should be directed to the local folder. But if I have a need to run regression or large data sorting on the virtual machine, do you think it can not be handled?

Thanks-Jianlin

The amount of memory needed for regression is related to the dimension of the model, not the size of the dataset.

You cannot control the UTILLOC setting, so you might have to split the data into pieces and sort each piece separately and then re-combine.

jlc_11364
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Brian,

Yes, it is the university edition.

Jianlin

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation