BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Quentin
Super User

Hi All, Despite having spent ~15 years writing SAS programs for myself, and SAS macros for myself and other SAS programmers, I have never done any real application development.  And I want that to change, so I'm looking for suggestions on where a complete newbie should start. Scenario: Say I'm a SAS programmer, working in a clinical trial group.  My job is to facilitate trial monitoring.  So every (day/week/month/whatever) I run a trial monitoring report (tables/figures/listings showing accrual, participant demographics, folllow-up rate, whatever), and save it (pdf) to a network drive where the trial team (statistician, project manager, regulatory, etc) can review it. Goal: Move from this system (where I am running these reports via a scheduled task or whatever), to developing an application, which will allow users to submit jobs to a SAS server that will generate canned reports, or their own custom reports, or live dashboards, or data extracts, or whatever.  All of the users are in-house, so I don't need to worry about folks connecting via internet, and related security. The users will not be programmers, so hoping to develop a simple user interface (could be just  a web page).  The users will not have SAS licenses. Limitations: I know SAS, and basic html, but not much more.  So while I'm excited to start learning something new, I'd appreciate a solution that will allow me to be at least minimally effective without spending months learning new language(s). It seems SAS has a number of different solutions for this sort of work (SAS/AF, SAS/INTRNET, Enterprise Guide, Microsoft Office add-on, etc.).  I'm imagining the general approach will be to take my parameterized macros (%AccrualTable, %DemographicTable etc.), and set them up as stored procedures so that a naive user can pass values via a pretty dialogue box, and view/export results in a reasonable format.  So was hoping folks might have suggestions on pros/cons of different approaches, or a favorite SGF paper that might provide an entry point for me. Kind Regards, --Quentin

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Jane Eslinger presenting PROC REPORT and the ODS EXCEL destination on Mar 27 at noon ET. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
1 REPLY 1
RMP
SAS Employee RMP
SAS Employee

Stored Processes are the way to go. They can be run on the web via the Stored Process application or run for all the SAS clients - Eguide, WRS, Addin Microsoft Office. Very flexible. SAS programming skills plus a basic knowledge of HTML is all you need. There are tons of SAS Global Forum papers and the SAS documentation is also very thorough.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation