BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
SP_RANDE
Calcite | Level 5
Hello!

I have a stored process and am trying to create an input parameter in a combo box with multiple values that an user can select one value before executing the stored process. These values must be be populated from a sas dataset which is updated on a regular basis (frequently every day). Is there any possibility that I can create a parameter to populate those values from sas table? Or can we use InfoMap studio to create an infomap to have this purpose done? If so please explain how it can be achieved?

Thanks in advance!
RA
5 REPLIES 5
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
Dynamically populating a parameter value list or creating cascading parameters (they pick region and then only see the cities in that region in the next parameter box) is not something available with the Enterprise Intelligence Platform, by default, in SAS 9.1.3.

Both of those abilities are planned for delivery with the SAS platform update for SAS 9.2.

cynthia
SP_RANDE
Calcite | Level 5
Thank you Cynthia.

One question.. Then what is the main advantage of linking a stored process within an Info Map?
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
Well, that really depends on what your Info Map is needed for. The SP can be used to populate the Info Map with data. So imagine that every warehouse keeps a "pick list" file on the server for the evening shift to work. The foreman comes in at the beginning of the shift and logs onto Web Report Studio and accesses the info map for the pick list (perhaps the info map is a join of the part file and the vendor file and the description file) .. but the SP goes out to the server and part of the job of the SP is to read that warehouse's "pick list" file based on the &_METAPERSON id of the foreman. The SP then uses macro logic to point to the right pick list file, does the subset and only populates the info map with that warehouse's data.

That's only one example. I think the best reason for linking a SP to an Info Map is because you want to use the SP to grab or subset data for the Info Map. There are probably other reasons. That's the one (subset) we show in the Information Map class.

cynthia
SP_RANDE
Calcite | Level 5
thanks again Cynthia.

Instead of displaying the values complete dynamically for the SP input parameter, is there any way that you can update the list by clicking a button in the parameter window (just for Eg: Like Browse button for a File parameter)? When you click on this button then it would display all the values from infomap and fillup the SP parameter values. Can this be possible from linking SP and InfoMap? I heard from someone recently this functionality is possible but do not know how to implement this and double checking with you. Any info regarding this functionality is much appreciated.

Thanks
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
I do NOT know of a method to dynamically update a parameter list -- either for a "regular" SP or for one linked to an Info Map.

I know that dynamic parameters are planned for 9.2. Until then, the most definitive answer will come from Tech Support. If you can remember who told you this functionality was available, you might want to check with them and see what version of the Platform they were talking about. Or check whether they had written their own servlet to build the parameter list dynamically. (Which would happen in the servlet code, not in the Info Map or in the SP).

cynthia

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation