BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.

Hi,

I'm migrating some stored processes from a SAS server running 9.3 to a new server running 9.4M3.

I thought I had everything working, but when I asked a user to test, they can see the stored processes (in SPWA) but when they click a stored process, the prompts don't appear.  All they get is a run button, which does nothing when clicked.

I'm thinking perhaps there is a permissions issue involved, but I'm not seeing it.  THe stored process has a handful of prompts, some are shared and/or dynamic, but some are just simple prompts.  And none of them are showing up for my end user.  But when I click it (or an admin clicks it), the prompts display fine.

Even if one the prompts was dependent upon a data source a user didn't have access to, or even if one of the shared prompts couldn'tbe read, I wouldn't think this would prevent it from displaying all prompts, would it?

I just made a new stored process with a single prompt, and that is showing up fine.

Thanks for any thoughts.

--Q.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Jane Eslinger presenting PROC REPORT and the ODS EXCEL destination on Mar 27 at noon ET. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Quentin
Super User

Well, I think I've got this sorted.

Turns out the metadata permissions and OS permissions were fine.

But the metadata library that had the data for the prompt was not assigned on the correct server. 

It's surprising that it worked when I tested it.  I assume I must have got permission to use the data from some other inheritance path, while the user must have needed to inherit through this metata library.  Also suprised that this caused none of the prompts to load/display.  I assume if I asked the admin to go digging through logs, they would have found errors.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Jane Eslinger presenting PROC REPORT and the ODS EXCEL destination on Mar 27 at noon ET. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Quentin
Super User

The stored process had one dynamic prompt.  I removed that prompt, and now all the other prompts load fine for the user.

I assume this means one of:

1. The user does not have metadata permissions to the metadata table used to populate the prompt

2. The user does not have metadata permissions to the metadata library used to register the metadata table used to populate the prompt

3. The user does not have OS permissions to the SAS dataset used to populate the prompt.

Today, I weep for not having Metacoda. 

I suppose if I sit down with the user for 30 minutes and have him repeatedly try stuff as I brute force various permissions, I might manage to get it working.  But if it was just a metadata permissions issue, I would think the user would still see all the prompts defined, but some prompts might say "no data available" (or be blank) when the source data couldn't be found.  I know I've seen that before.  Does it make sense these sorts of problems would cause all prompts not to display?

I'm not an admin on this server.  Curious if there are server logs I should ask the admin to review. That is, when this user clicks a stored process in SPWA, which has prompts defined, but none of the prompts are displayed (and all they see is a non-fuctional "run" button), is it likely that the metadata server or stored process server would have thrown some errors when it tried to load the stored processs?

Thanks,

-Q.

Quentin
Super User

Well, I think I've got this sorted.

Turns out the metadata permissions and OS permissions were fine.

But the metadata library that had the data for the prompt was not assigned on the correct server. 

It's surprising that it worked when I tested it.  I assume I must have got permission to use the data from some other inheritance path, while the user must have needed to inherit through this metata library.  Also suprised that this caused none of the prompts to load/display.  I assume if I asked the admin to go digging through logs, they would have found errors.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 1 in conversation