BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
cbrotz
Pyrite | Level 9

I am getting the following error in SAS EG when I run a stored process from a VB Script.  If I run it manually, it runs fine.  Any ideas on how set this up properly would be appreciated.

ERROR: A lock is not available for TEMP.V_PRM_DATA

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cbrotz
Pyrite | Level 9

What was happening is that my stored process to create a file in a SAS EG session was running exactly the same time as the code.  I thought the code would "wait"  but I guess it does not work that way.  I used the following code solution to "sleep" the program.  It is not exactly what I was looking for but it will work.

Re: Sleep Question

KevinC

Look for the CALL SLEEP function instead of trying to guess how long a loop takes.

Data _null_;

call sleep (600,1); /* 600 seconds*/

run;

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
SASKiwi
PROC Star

I would compare the definition of the TEMP library between your two modes of operation. Storing this table in your WORK library will prevent this error as each SAS session is allocated a unique WORK library.

cbrotz
Pyrite | Level 9

I was originally running this to store in the WORK. Library and could not use the results the next step in the EG session.

The work library does not save evidently:

No, because the work session disappears when the stored process is done. You can write the file to a temp or perhaps rather than a stored process use a %INCLUDE to call the program instead.

The TEMP library works.....sometimes. 

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Try clearing the TEMP libname in your EG session after using it, then reassign it in your Stored Process session. EG sessions run under your user account, Stored Process sessions run under a shared service user account.

You will still get the lock problem if you run two Stored Process sessions at the same time.

cbrotz
Pyrite | Level 9

I see code for  "libname_all_clear;"   Is that what you are referring to?

How do I assign a library?  I know we used to use libname statements.  Is it something like that?

Thanks,

FredrikE
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

The problem is that sas data set can only be written or updated by one user at a time, otherwise you get the lock error message.

One way to solve this is to name the dataset with a time stamp or user name so every dataset is unique.

The easiest is to add the user name as a suffix. I don' remember which macro variable that are automatic in the stored process but one of _METAUSER, SYSUSERID SASUSER should work:

data test&_METAUSER;
a = 10;
run;

//Fredrik

cbrotz
Pyrite | Level 9

I am pretty sure I am the only one creating stored processes in our system...I am definitely not running the same stored process from two different SAS EG sessions at the same time.   Something else seems like it is not working right.  It seems more like once the stored process runs, it does not free up the connection to that file even though it is a temp file. Hours later, it is still locked. The naming idea might work.  I will give that a try.

cbrotz
Pyrite | Level 9

What was happening is that my stored process to create a file in a SAS EG session was running exactly the same time as the code.  I thought the code would "wait"  but I guess it does not work that way.  I used the following code solution to "sleep" the program.  It is not exactly what I was looking for but it will work.

Re: Sleep Question

KevinC

Look for the CALL SLEEP function instead of trying to guess how long a loop takes.

Data _null_;

call sleep (600,1); /* 600 seconds*/

run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation