BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hi, everybody... can anybody tell what is Autosys and what is the use of it and how can I use it in Unix environment?

Thanks,
jaysas11
14 REPLIES 14
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
If you mean Unicenter/CA Autosys
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicenter_Autosys_Job_Management

Then it is a job management/scheduler and is not solely used with SAS. I suggest you refer to the CA web site for more information on using Autosys in a Unix environment:
http://investor.ca.com/releasedetail.cfm?releaseid=316066
http://www.ca.com/us/default.aspx

cynthia
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hi, Cynthia,.......I am very happy to see your response..
your response and your advise is very precious , Thank you.
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hi, can you tell me what is Humming bird software and what is the use of it in unix environment.

Thanks,
Jay.
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
I don't understand what either of these questions have to do with SAS Stored Processes. Generally folks use Unicenter Autosys for job scheduling of batch jobs, which would not necessarily involve the SAS Platform for Business Analytics or Stored Processes or even SAS (you could schedule COBOL or FORTRAN jobs instead of SAS jobs, for example.)

I believe that Hummingbird (also possibly known as Exceed/Hummingbird) is a terminal emulation software. So, from a Windows machine, you could, for example, open a window to a Unix box or to a mainframe box in order to run programs on that platform (again, the programs you run or tasks you perform would not necessarily need to be SAS related at all).

This is also not particularly relevant for SAS Stored Processes, which are SAS programs defined in the Platform metadata so they can be run from many different client applications -- in which case, neither Unicenter Autosys or Exceed/Humminbird would be needed.

Perhaps someone from your job can help you with these questions.

cynthia
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hi, Cynthia, Really I am happy to find the answer. Actually the thing here is , my client is using the SAS running on Unix Environment, He said they are using Autosys for job scheduling , till now I know how to run jobs in windows but not in UNIX . And he asked me to use Humming Bird. till now I did not use it also . So please help me abot these questions.
Basically I am a SAS consultant.

Thanks,
Jay.
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
To find out how to use Unicenter Autosys, I would suggest you find the Autosys documentation and investigate how to do job scheduling using that product. To find out how to use Exceed/Hummingbird to open a session to Unix, I would suggest that you consult the Exceed/Hummingbird documentation to find out how to use terminal emulation software.

Your customer should have documentation for SAS on his operating system (Unix) and program submission details are contained in the documentation. Once you have a .SAS program that executes correctly on the Unix system, you can submit that program in batch mode following the directions in the SAS companion documentation for the Unix operating system.

Although I understand your situation, your questions still seem unrelated to this forum topic, which specifically is about SAS Stored Processes.

cynthia
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hi, cynthia how are you? thanks for giving reply. At least I did not think if it is a related question for this forum or not because my situation is different for me to satisfy my client. Sorry for giving u trouble . Because till now I did not use forums for my questions. This is the first time I am using forums.Sorry for wrong entry.

Thanks,
Jayrajchowdary@gmail.com.
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
There is really no need to apologize. You did not give me any "trouble". The forum topics provide a way to allow folks to focus on the topics that are most relevant to them.

Your questions were posted in the wrong place. That actually happens a lot. But usually, it is something like a PROC TABULATE question will be posted in the Enterprise Guide forum or an ODS question will be posted in the SAS Procedures forum. I feel it is a courtesy to the person asking the question to point out that there is another forum that is more suited to their topic -- because if they continue to post questions in the wrong forum -- they might not get the most relevant help.

However, there is no separate forum topic for "how to run SAS jobs on other operating systems" or "how to use Unicenter Autosys to schedule a SAS job". So, for your situation, the manuals and documentation for Hummingbird and Autosys are your best resource. For specific questions about how to run SAS programs on Unix (whether you are using Hummingbird or not), the SAS Companion documentation for the Unix platform will be the most relevant documentation.

cynthia
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hi, Cynthia , Thanks for your response.
I will be in touch with you .
take care,
bye

Thanks,
jay
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hi, every body.... my problem is .... . my client has developed an application which was completed long back but now its going into production , now he wants me to see weather the script is meeting the standards or not.
Basically he has written the SAS code in unix shell scripting.He has not given me any operational standard documents for SAS.And apart from that he did not want any of dev changes he wants only standardization changes. Can u please tell me how can I do it?
your help is really required.

Thanks,
Jay
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Your post-reply has phrases like: "...script is meeting the standards or not." and "...he wants only standardization changes." Someone needs to define what those standards are, so you can compare against the SAS program code to determine what programming techniques used (and possibly syntax, variable-naming conventions, file-naming conventions, SAS programming comments, and other possible considerations) do and/or do not adhere to those defined standards.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hi, Scott I am very happy to see your response. I am giving you the script of SAS which is in unix shell scripting. And we are scheduling the jobs in Autosys.
Please see this and help me out kindly.
Thanks,
Jay.
Sas ${PGMDIR}/EXTRACT_tables_1.sas- log ${LOGDIR}/extract_TABLES_1_
${date}.log-print ${RPTDIR}/Extract_tables_1-${date}.lst &
Sas ${PGMDIR}/Extract_tables_2.sas-log ${LOGDIR} /Extract_tables_2_
${date}.log – print ${RPTDIR}/ Extract_tables_2_${date}.lst &
Sas ${PGMDIR}/Extract_tables_2b.sas _log ${LOGDIR}/Extract_tables_2b_
${date}.log –print $ {RPTDIR}/Extract_tables_2b_ ${date}.lst &
Sas ${PGMDIR } /Extract_tables_3.sas –log${LOGDIR}/Extract_tables_3_
$date.log –print ${RPTDIR}/Extract_tables_3_${date} .lst &
Sas ${PGMDIR}/Extract_tables_4.sas –log ${LOGDIR}/Extract_tables_4_
${date}.log –print ${RPTDIR}/Extract_tables_4_ ${date}.lst &
Wait
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
I have no clue what you are asking for here? From my previous reply, you will want to work with your contact source to determine what "standards" are required. Then, from the script you pasted in your recent reply, you will want to review the SAS programs, such as those named EXTRACT_tables_1.sas and others like it for your standards adherence. Good luck.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
Cyril
Calcite | Level 5

Autosys - something like advanced scheduler Smiley Happy

To use it on UNIX a special agent should be installed on server (with separate license)

It can easily run some commands in UNIX shell to run sas programs and also to get sas exit code (successfull or not)

In sas code you should (if it for EM projects, project must be created before):

- directly set the project name of EM project, project folder, name of workspace (to update an existing EMWS, or it will create new each time)

- directly assign each library (even pre-assigned)

Then, you can face with encoding problem - if encoding of sas in bathch mode is not equal to one's used in project - it solves by setting the encoding in config file, config must be declared in command line

To get  sas exit code you can use $? statement.

It looks like this

./sas -noterminal -nonews full_name_of_your_program.sas -log full_name_of_log_file.txt -config full_name_of_config_file.cfg

(Log file must be created before)

echo $? > full_name_of_result_file.txt

(this file for sas exit code, file must be created before)

Autosys have to run this commands, and then to read result from result_file.txt

Result codes are here: http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/hostunx/63053/HTML/default/viewer.htm#p0h28whoxxvtztn15w...

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation