BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Ole_MartinHafslund
SAS Employee
Hello!

Does anyone know if it possible to process external WebServices (outside the SAS Sphere) via StoredProcesses and the SAS Webservices interface?

How is this done? Is this a feature in SAS9.2 due next year?

Best Regards
Ole-Martin Hafslund
4 REPLIES 4
Vince_SAS
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
The short answer is that it is rather difficult in SAS 9.1, but will get better in SAS 9.2.

Can you provide more details on this project? How do you normally execute Web Services now? That is, what Web Service client framework do you currently use (e.g., Axis, JWSDP). Do you use Java or some other language? Do you have a pointer to a sample Web Service that you would like to execute from with in a stored process? If not, can you tell us what the expected inputs/outputs are?

Vince DelGobbo
SAS R&D
Ole_MartinHafslund
SAS Employee
Hello Vince!

We have an external system HMDM (Hyperion Master Datamart) that provides a Web Service with different services that we from the SAS side should be able to use.

E.g. When the HMDM needs input data from the Data Warehouse in SAS, it really would be nice if it was possible from SAS to have a job to be scheduled that exported the data from SAS, talked to the web services in HMDM system and then again used the web service available to addData to HMDM.

As for your suggestion with the pointer to the web service to execute that from a stored process this is something we was thinking about, but didn't quite get the syntax of. I know that we can setup a libname to a URL and from there sort of be a consumer, but this means I have to write all the XML syntax to make things happen?! Very hard I believe.

The implementation today is supported by exporting the data to SQL server and having the DTS to do the talking with the web service.

My whish list is filled up with the ability to both read and use external web services from the SAS Data Integration Studio. What plans are there here in SAS9.2? Heard in SUGI the Dan Jahn presentation, but I feel still a little confused here. Can you enlighten my knowledge a bit?

Best Regards
Ole-Martin Hafslund
Vince_SAS
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
I have been told that in SAS 9.2, SAS Data Integration Studio will support Web Services. I do not know exactly what level of support it will have.

Given the complexity of this issue, you will probably be better served by opening a track with our Technical Support department:

http://support.sas.com/techsup/contact/submit_emits2.html

Best regards,

Vince DelGobbo
SAS R&D
deleted_user
Not applicable
You might be enlightened here:
http://support.sas.com/software/91x/dataintegwhatsnew34.htm
DI studio 3.4 has seom new functions to support the creation of a webservice to be cunsomed by a callfrom ex Hyperion it seems. Dont know if that works for you , but take a look.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation