BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Grumbler
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello, so I created a SAS STP and then made a Web Service from it.  It runs fine in SoapUI.  But the return doesn't tell me if it finished or not.

I can check the log myself to find out but users won't be able to do that.

How do I create output message for the Web Service in DI so that it returns a message?

Just a simple Finished or Error would be fine.

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
Quentin
Super User

Hi,

I'm not going to be much help, but I hope sometimes my questions are helpful to others who can then help...

1. So you have a SAS stored process, the purpose of which is to do some data processing (ETL), rather than return a report.  Is that right?

2. How will users call this stored processs?  I'm confused by the reference to DI (Data Integration Studio).  They will call the stored process from DI Studio?  Or via a web page?

If they call the stored process from DI studio, I would think they could check the log in DI studio themselves.  And not sure why you would need to make the stored process a web sevice.

If they call the stored process from a web page, then the stored process could end by sending an html page saying "complete" or "error" or whatever to _webout.  And there are plenty of papers on automated log scanning, if you want to go that route.

HTH,

---Q.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Jane Eslinger presenting PROC REPORT and the ODS EXCEL destination on Mar 27 at noon ET. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
Grumbler
Obsidian | Level 7

Yes.  All it does is some data processing.  Don't need to return anything.

I am not sure exactly how the users will call.  However they want to use it.  They will just trigger it so the data processing gets done.

What I meant by DI is that I created the STP in DI and also created WS in DI (automatically).

Ah, _webout.  I think I have seen it somewhere.  Let me do some research on that.

Thanks Q.

Quentin
Super User

I could be way off base... my knowledge of developing web services is close to 0.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Jane Eslinger presenting PROC REPORT and the ODS EXCEL destination on Mar 27 at noon ET. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
Grumbler
Obsidian | Level 7

when you create the STP, there is a tab where you can specify the output parameters.  you can check &syscc macro variable to output the message.  so when you run from soapui, you will see the return value there as well.  hope that helps.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation