BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
dhudson73
Calcite | Level 5

I have a project that requires more input parameters than can fit on the screen. The stored process was created in SAS EG and is linked to a collection portal in SAS BI. The paramteres are displayed vertically and users have to scroll down to input all of the parms. Is there a way to wrap the or customize the parms layout so they will all display on the initial screen?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
boemskats
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

There are a couple of ways, but neither of them are simple. One, is you can create a JSP based custom input form for your Stored Process. This is how you would do it traditionally, but it involves redeployment of the whole stp webapp war file, so is not something I would recommend.

Alternatively, you could create a HTML form that submits the form values to a target stored process. This will give you complete control over the layout. SAS have a very simple example here. You can use a parameter value to decide whether this is the first time the STP was called (in which case output form html) or if it is a subsequent call (the STP calling itself, in which case process inputs).  

How much experience do you have with HTML?

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
boemskats
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

There are a couple of ways, but neither of them are simple. One, is you can create a JSP based custom input form for your Stored Process. This is how you would do it traditionally, but it involves redeployment of the whole stp webapp war file, so is not something I would recommend.

Alternatively, you could create a HTML form that submits the form values to a target stored process. This will give you complete control over the layout. SAS have a very simple example here. You can use a parameter value to decide whether this is the first time the STP was called (in which case output form html) or if it is a subsequent call (the STP calling itself, in which case process inputs).  

How much experience do you have with HTML?

dhudson73
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks, this is helpful. It pretty much confirms what I was thinking. I had hoped there was a more simplified solution. For now, I'm just going to leave it as is. Hopefully, SAS will provide more customization capability around the front end that can be controlled in the BI environment in future releases.

Thanks for your response.

Quentin
Super User
I'm in the same boat as you @dhudson73, but unfortunately I don't think SAS is likely to invest in generating prettier front ends for IDP / Stored Process Web App. (I had hoped for a radio button prompt type, but that hope has gone away.)Basically they generate a minimum viable front-end for people who don't want to roll their own HTML. But for people who want something pretty, I think SAS views that as out of their Scope. That is, there are plenty of other places to learn how to make pretty front ends, and plenty of companies with web development solutions. And once you know enough HTML/javascript to roll your own UI, it's mostly trivial to call SAS stored processes in the background. But as a "SAS Developer", the challenge then becomes how much to become a web developer to support your SAS work.
BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Jane Eslinger presenting PROC REPORT and the ODS EXCEL destination on Mar 27 at noon ET. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation