BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hi sas-forum,

I'm getting an out-of-memory error when I try to run proc glm on a dataset of mine. The relevant proc glm code is below:

dm 'clear log';
dm 'clear output';

proc glm data=seldata;
class subject transect season;
model lnwater = yearnew*subject
/ noint solution ;
ods output ParameterEstimates = soln;
run;

The dataset is not huge-- there are 52749 observations. After setting the -memsize option to 0, I'm able to get a solution on my desktop machine with 12GB RAM, but my laptop with 6GB can't solve the problem no matter what I try. After running the -fullstimer option on the laptop I found that the elapsed time was signficantly different to the CPU time, so I understand that would indicate an error caused by insufficient RAM.

I'm surprised that I can't solve this problem with 6GB of RAM as it doesn't seem like an overly complex problem. SAS also returns the out of memory error almost instantaneously-- I would have thought it would take a while to run and then time out if the memory filled up, but I confess I don't know a lot about how SAS uses memory. Could there be something else going on here? For this problem it is not crucial, but I have other datasets where I am likely to encounter the same issue.

I'm running Windows 7 Professional on a Dell studio XPS 9100 with an Intel core i7 960 3.2GHz processor and 12GB RAM.

Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
Is this PROC GLM inside a SAS stored process -- a SAS program that runs under the context of the BI Platform (or the SAS Platform for Business Analytics)??? If so, you might want to work with Tech Support on this issue.

If you are not really running your GLM in a stored process, then you might want to repost your question in the SAS Statistical Procedures forum:
http://support.sas.com/forums/forum.jspa?forumID=46

Or, work with Tech Support...relevant Tech Support notes do indicate some out of memory possibilities with GLM:
http://support.sas.com/forums/forum.jspa?forumID=46

cynthia
deleted_user
Not applicable
Thanks for the reply Cynthia. My apologies-- this is not within a stored process. I've re-posted the question to the forum you suggest.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation