BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Jbaax
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello everybody,

I try to training myself in stored processes but I need some advices.. I know that I can work with the SMC or SAS EG, but for the first I cannot create an account because of I does not have access to a MetadataServer on my machine. And for the second (SAS EG), despite severals attemps the clickbuttons "Create a stored processes" and "Right Click --> New --> StoredProcesses"  are not available. Maybe is it due to the same problem of access to Metadataserver.

Someone have an idea to solve my problem ?

Thanks a lot

Kind regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

If you have a metadata server running, it will listen (by default) on port 8561.

But this implies that you have the Integration Technologies part installed, which depends on the license and the installation plan that was used.

Additionally, you will need a webserver and a web application server to really work with stored processes.

AFAIK, with 9.4 all this is part of the depot and the installation process if you have this type of information. If you did not go through setup and configuration of the metadata server (and stored process server) during deployment, you most probably will not have one, and therefore no infrastructure for STPs.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
VasilijNevlev
Quartz | Level 8

Hello Jbaax, 

A stored procedure is a metadata that describes how SAS code should be executed. That metadata must be stored in SAS Folders that are linked to the whole SAS Metadata model which in turn is managed by Metadata server. You must have your metadata server up and running for the whole mechanism is to work. 

It is very difficult to deduce what is wrong with your metadata server, but here are a few pointers: 

1. Check that you have a correctly configured profile in your SMC and/or SAS EG

2. Check that you have correct credentials and the user that you are using is configured on Metadata server 

3. Check that SAS Metadata server service is running on the server itself and responding 

If you get any issues, post them here with a bit more description about your set up (OS version, SAS version, etc) and any error messages that you get. 

Regards,

Vasilij

=======================================
For more information about {An}alytium, visit https://www.analytium.co.uk
Jbaax
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Vasilij,

First, thanks for your request. Secondly, I think that I've explained too fast my problem. About configuration, I'm working on Window 7 Pro, SAS and SMC 9.4 and SAS EG 7.1. In the near future, I will create web users screens (with SAS Portal) linked to a particular SAS solution, and I will have a complete environnement (servers, data and solutions) parametrized by a SAS team. 

But at this moment, I have not this environnement, and I've the feeling that in my own professionnal computer I don't have any servers available, that's why I didn't reach to create a connexion profile in SMC (I know the name of my machine but I don't know the number of the port, I tried 8631, 80 but without success..). 

As a result, really my questions are :

1. Is it possible to parametrize a metadata server in my computer ?
2. Or, If it seems complicated, is it possible to work on stored process locally ? Create a local connexion profile in SAS SMC ?

I would imagine that I'm not very clear, but in addition of my english level, now I'm a beginner on server configuration..

With thanks

Regards,
Jbaax

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

If you have a metadata server running, it will listen (by default) on port 8561.

But this implies that you have the Integration Technologies part installed, which depends on the license and the installation plan that was used.

Additionally, you will need a webserver and a web application server to really work with stored processes.

AFAIK, with 9.4 all this is part of the depot and the installation process if you have this type of information. If you did not go through setup and configuration of the metadata server (and stored process server) during deployment, you most probably will not have one, and therefore no infrastructure for STPs.

VasilijNevlev
Quartz | Level 8

Hey Jbaax, 

1. Yes, it is perfectly possible to have a metadata server running on the same PC with the rest of SAS. 

2. As Kurt mentioned, it is possible to run Stored Process locally too. 

Metadata server: 

If you have installed it yourself, check for windows service status. You can see all of your services in task manager. You can figure out the name of the service if you read this note

If you can't see the metadata server, could it be that it wasn't installed? If so, rerun the deployment manager in your SAS Depo and update your installation. 

Stored Process as a Web App: 

You are planning to expose the stored processes as a web application, so you need to consider how you will configure your mid-tier components. A note on midtier and other components

You will need to have these up and running for your SAS Portal and to link it to "a particular SAS solution". 

My advice would be start from begining. Consider what you are trying to achieve, get a deploymen plan, use it  to make sure all the required components are in place before you start developing.

If you get any issues, leave a note here on what you did, what you want and what you have already tried. 

Regards,

Vasilij

=======================================
For more information about {An}alytium, visit https://www.analytium.co.uk
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

If you work completely "local" (ie your server list only shows "Local"), then you don't need a metadata server for EG and SAS to work.

But you can't create and run stored processes without the proper infrastructure. See about the requirements here:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/stpug/61271/HTML/default/viewer.htm#a003152541.htm

Jbaax
Fluorite | Level 6
Thanks for your request, I have just respond to Vasilij in order to better explain my problem.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation