BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Aman4SAS
Obsidian | Level 7

Can any one please help me to getridof this error(snapshot attached).

I run a big program, after some time this window popup .

please suggest.

Thanks

log window.png
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomDR
Fluorite | Level 6

You have different options:

1. suppress the output: Suppressing Information to the SAS Log

2. write to a file: Routing the Output and the SAS Log with PROC PRINTTO

Good luck!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
TomDR
Fluorite | Level 6

You have different options:

1. suppress the output: Suppressing Information to the SAS Log

2. write to a file: Routing the Output and the SAS Log with PROC PRINTTO

Good luck!

GeoffreyBrent
Calcite | Level 5

In addition to Tom's advice, it might be worth trying to figure out why the log is so large.

When I get "log full" type problems, it usually turns out to be because something in my program is generating a very large number of notes/warnings. For instance, if I'm doing something that generates a note at every observation of a 2-million-observation file, that will choke up the log very quickly. One way to identify this is to run the program on a smaller data set so that I can look at the log and see what's taking up the space. If I can identify a step that's spamming the log, I can then fix that problem without needing to shut off logging altogether.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

If you submit the program as a background or batch job then you will not get those messages.  If you really have a long running job then that is how you should be submitting the code anyway.  That said you should still look into WHY the job is generating such a large log file.

Aman4SAS
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Thomas. Thanks for your guidance,,, Its very helpful. Can you please let me how can i run a .sas file in batch mode. when i m running my programme in cmd prompt its always open SAS programe, and if i create .BAT file it also doing same.

can you please help me .

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

The normal way that I submit SAS programs is to include the filename on the command line when I type the command that starts SAS.

Example:  sas myfile

This will look for the code in myfile.sas and write the log to myfile.log and the listing output to myfile.lst.  This is how SAS has worked since it was first available on interactive systems.

Now if you are trying to use Windows then it may be harder to invoke SAS from the command line, but when SAS is installed it should create multiple associations into the Windows Registry for .sas files.  So if you right click on SAS program file in a Windows Explorer window you should have a choice for Batch submit.

Aman4SAS
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks for your kind help

SASKiwi
PROC Star

This might help - it explains the DMSLOGSIZE option available from SAS 9.2 onwards for increasing the default size:

http://support.sas.com/kb/5/888.html

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 5 in conversation