BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Kirti
Calcite | Level 5

Dear all,

I am completely new to SAS and considering SAS during a high level solution design. Wanted to know if a SAS stored process can send a text message/SMS to mobiles provided all the relevent gateway and infrastructure for sending SMS is made available?

Would be gratefule for a quick reply.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Kirti

6 REPLIES 6
PLee
SAS Employee

Hi Kirti,

If you can send emails through your stored process, you should, in theory, be able to send an SMS to your cellphones. Instead of an email address like Average.Joe @ someprovider dot com you would probably use something like 4169671111@pcs.rogers.com.

You just need to figure out what the set up is for your provider.

Does this make sense?

Regards,

Pauline

Kirti
Calcite | Level 5

Pauline,

Thanks for your quick reply.

Sorry, if this sounds like a daft question - The solution will be implemented in the UK, would you know if this set up (4169671111@pcs.rogers.com) specific to countries? or you think this is failrly standard thing to implement? (again, apologies for my lack of knowledge on SMS solutions). Just worried that later down the line we discover this is something UK providers don't do 😞

Thanks,

Kirti

PLee
SAS Employee

Hi Kirti,

I believe if you contact your mobile provider you should be able to find out. I suspect it is possible because I remember many years ago before text messaging was popular, I was able to send text messages to a friend in Italy via my email.

I can't say for sure because I've only been able to do this for Canadian and US mobile companies.

Hope that helps.

Pauline

Quentin
Super User

Hi,

You might want to look up the providers of interest.

I googled "email sms pcs.rogers.com" , and the first hit was this page, which includes Rogers ATT:

http://basicstate.com/htm/page.htm

HTH,

--Q.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Jane Eslinger presenting PROC REPORT and the ODS EXCEL destination on Mar 27 at noon ET. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
DonH
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

You will also need to make sure that your stored process server is set up so it has a SMTP mail server defined. See for example:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/hostunx/61879/HTML/default/viewer.htm#email.htm

This is for Unix for 9.2, but it is pretty general. You can also check out the online doc for the filename statement - specifically the email access method for details.

Note that in 9.3, you can control/define all the settings in your program (in your case, your stored process). But before 9.3, some of the options need to be invocation options and so they will need to be added to the start up options for your stored process server (presumably by your SAS administrator).

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 5 in conversation