BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
H_G
Calcite | Level 5 H_G
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

I have a question and I will be grateful if you can help me,

I am running a regression which I have one dependent variable (varies from 1 to 6) and several independent variable, which some of them are dummy variables(like gender) and some of them are metric variables like age, and I have some other variables like education which I ranked them .I am using SAS for my research.would you please help me which statistical tool is appropriate for my regression?

Thank you in advance.

9 REPLIES 9
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

There are probably several techniques that might work here, depending on what assumptions you want to make about errors and objective function, etc.

You might want to try ordinal logistic regression, since your dependent variables are really 6 different categories. See PROC LOGISTIC

I might also go with PROC PLS, as your independent variables are most likely correlated with one another. There's also a Logistic version of PLS in the literature, although I think you'd have to code that yourself, as far as I know it doesn't exist in SAS.

--
Paige Miller
H_G
Calcite | Level 5 H_G
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you so much for your answer,

my dependent ranked from 1 to 6 ( I mean it is not 6 different categories). my dependent variable is actually the likelihood of one action, it means that when is 6 is more likely to happen than when is 1.do you think still I can use PROC LOGISTIC?

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Based upon my understanding of your description, and my understanding of ordinal logistic regression, I would the answer is YES! PROC LOGISTIC still applies here.

--
Paige Miller
H_G
Calcite | Level 5 H_G
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you so much,

I will check the link and will come back again if I have question.

H_G
Calcite | Level 5 H_G
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

I used proc logistic for my regression, but it is just consider 3 levels of my dependent variable,(as I mentioned before it has 6 level).

would you please help me?

Thanks a lot.

Reeza
Super User

Look over the example here, but yours is more complex. This is assuming you've done the appropriate univariate modeling and summary already.

SAS/STAT(R) 9.22 User's Guide

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Yes, that is a very good introductory example, for a simple ordinal logistic regression.

--
Paige Miller
H_G
Calcite | Level 5 H_G
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

I used proc logistic for my regression, but it is just consider 3 levels of my dependent variable,(as I mentioned before it has 6 level).

would you please help me?

Thanks a lot.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Show us your SASLOG for what you tried. You might also want to show us a portion of your data.

--
Paige Miller

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 3 in conversation