BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Ruhi
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi All

I am working on a project involving understanding interday and intraday varainces on a device and I found interday varaince to be less than intraday, which is our biggest concern.

So we took measurements on humans on 5 days, and 5 masurements on each day and each measurement gives us 12 outputs of the same measure at any given time. So I created a completely nested random effect model as follows to get all varaince estimates :

proc mixed data=required covtest cl;
class pt day scan  ;
model var= ;
random pt day(pt) scan(day*pt) ;
estimate "Mean" intercept 1/cl;
ods output covparms=Covparms estimates=EstimatedMean;
run;

To investigate why intraday varaince is higher than interday, I want to test if subgroups (say Male and female)  have equal interday and intarday varaince or how their variances are. Now I am not quite sure how can I get varaince estimates in these subgroups. Any help is greatly appreciated. Any other solution/trick to investigate  is welcome too.

Thanks soooo much for any help!!

1 REPLY 1
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Why not introduce the subgrouping as a fixed effect, and include it in a group= option to the random statement.  For example, if sex were the factor, you might try:

proc mixed data=required covtest cl;
class pt day scan  sex;
model var= sex;
random pt day(pt) scan(day*pt)/group=sex ;
estimate "Mean" intercept 1/cl;
ods output covparms=Covparms estimates=EstimatedMean;
run;

Steve Denham

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation