Programming the statistical procedures from SAS

varaince estimates for interaction of fixed and random effects in mixed models

Contributor

varaince estimates for interaction of fixed and random effects in mixed models

[ Edited ]

Hi All

I am working on a project involving understanding interday and intraday varainces on a device and I found interday varaince to be less than intraday, which is our biggest concern.

So we took measurements on humans on 5 days, and 5 masurements on each day and each measurement gives us 12 outputs of the same measure at any given time. So I created a completely nested random effect model as follows to get all varaince estimates :

proc mixed data=required covtest cl;
class pt day scan  ;
model var= ;
random pt day(pt) scan(day*pt) ;
estimate "Mean" intercept 1/cl;
ods output covparms=Covparms estimates=EstimatedMean;
run;

To investigate why intraday varaince is higher than interday, I want to test if subgroups (say Male and female)  have equal interday and intarday varaince or how their variances are. Now I am not quite sure how can I get varaince estimates in these subgroups. Any help is greatly appreciated. Any other solution/trick to investigate  is welcome too.

Thanks soooo much for any help!!

Respected Advisor

Re: varaince estimates for interaction of fixed and random effects in mixed models

Why not introduce the subgrouping as a fixed effect, and include it in a group= option to the random statement.  For example, if sex were the factor, you might try:

proc mixed data=required covtest cl;
class pt day scan  sex;
model var= sex;
random pt day(pt) scan(day*pt)/group=sex ;
estimate "Mean" intercept 1/cl;
ods output covparms=Covparms estimates=EstimatedMean;
run;

Steve Denham

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 like