BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
vstorme
Obsidian | Level 7

I tried to analyze the data from SAS paper 261-27 (Kuss Oliver) with the events/trial syntax both with proc genmod and with proc glimmix and found different results? Should the single trial syntax be used?

This is the full code:

data infection_grouped ;
input clinic treatment x n ;
datalines ;
1 1 11 36 
1 0 10 37
2 1 16 20
2 0 22 32
3 1 14 19
3 0 7 19
4 1 2 16
4 0 1 17
5 1 6 17
5 0 0 12
6 1 1 11
6 0 0 10
7 1 1 5
7 0 1 9
8 1 4 6
8 0 6 7
run;
data infection_bin (drop=i);
set infection_grouped ;
do i=1 to n;
if i<=x then cure=1;
if i>x then cure=0;
status = 2-cure;
output;
end;
run;
* with proc genmod the data must be ungrouped; proc genmod data=infection_bin descending order=data; class treatment clinic; model cure = treatment / d=bin link=logit; repeated subject=clinic / type=cs ; estimate "treatment" treatment 1 -1 /exp ; run;
* correlated data cannot be analysed with the events/trial syntax in proc genmod; * the following is wrong; proc genmod data=infection_grouped descending order=data; class treatment clinic; model x/n = treatment / d=bin link=logit; repeated subject=clinic / type=cs ; estimate "treatment" treatment 1 -1 /exp ; run;
* with proc glimmix; proc glimmix data=infection_grouped; class treatment clinic; model x/n = treatment / solution; random _residual_ / subject=clinic type=cs; estimate "treatment" treatment 1 -1 /exp ; run;
proc glimmix data=infection_bin; class treatment clinic; model cure = treatment / solution; random _residual_ / subject=clinic type=cs; estimate "treatment" treatment 1 -1 /exp ; run;
proc glimmix data=infection_grouped; class treatment clinic; model x/n = treatment / solution; random intercept / subject=clinic ; estimate "treatment" treatment 1 -1 /exp ; run;
proc glimmix data=infection_bin; class treatment clinic; model cure = treatment / solution; random intercept / subject=clinic ; estimate "treatment" treatment 1 -1 /exp ; run;

Is it possible to clarify this?

Veronique

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

Keep in mind that all observations with the same value of the SUBJECT= variable in GENMOD's REPEATED statement are considered correlated, and any two observations with different values are considered uncorrelated. Further, the event/trials syntax allows you to specify a set of independent trials. So, the two analyses are making very different assumptions about the data. With events/trials syntax, the 36 trials in the clinic 1, trt 1 set are treated as independent as are the 37 trials in the clinic 1, trt 2 set, but any two trials in differing sets are treated as correlated. However, in the analysis without events trials syntax, all 36+37 trials in clinic 1 are treated as correlated. 

Also, because the working correlation in the events/trials analysis is extremely high, GENMOD is unable to converge.  If you use type=fixed(1,.99,.99,1) instead of type=cs to limit the correlation, it can converge.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

Keep in mind that all observations with the same value of the SUBJECT= variable in GENMOD's REPEATED statement are considered correlated, and any two observations with different values are considered uncorrelated. Further, the event/trials syntax allows you to specify a set of independent trials. So, the two analyses are making very different assumptions about the data. With events/trials syntax, the 36 trials in the clinic 1, trt 1 set are treated as independent as are the 37 trials in the clinic 1, trt 2 set, but any two trials in differing sets are treated as correlated. However, in the analysis without events trials syntax, all 36+37 trials in clinic 1 are treated as correlated. 

Also, because the working correlation in the events/trials analysis is extremely high, GENMOD is unable to converge.  If you use type=fixed(1,.99,.99,1) instead of type=cs to limit the correlation, it can converge.

vstorme
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you Dave,

I understand now. I repeated the analysis with the multicenter data from https://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/statug/63033/HTML/default/viewer.htm#statug_glimmix_a00...

both with proc glimmix and proc genmod. Accidentally, the previous example did not turn out well because of the convergence problem with proc genmod, which problem I do not have with the multicenter data

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation