BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
sasuser1000
Calcite | Level 5
Hi,

I am new in time series modeling.

Unfortunately I don't have proc autoreg and I am trying to fit a time series with proc reg.

In my model I am using lag of the dependent and some other x's.
The is no collinearity, dw=1.8 but I still feel that I need to improve the model because the RMSE in my validation is a bit high.

1) I want to add another lag of y, so I will have

y= B0 +B1lag1(y) + B2 lag2(y) +B3X1 +B4X2

What about the Problem of multicolinearity in this case? between lag1(y) and
lag2(y) ? should I be concerned about that? What should I look for in that case.

2) Also, I use durbin watson because in proc reg the godfrey test is not available, someone have a code that imitate the godfrey test? or can pinpoint another way to check autocorellation without proc autoreg because i don't have it in my package.

Hope I will get some answers 🙂
3 REPLIES 3
SPR
Quartz | Level 8 SPR
Quartz | Level 8
Hello SASUser1000,

"What about the Problem of multicolinearity in this case? between lag1(y) and
lag2(y) ? should I be concerned about that? What should I look for in that case"

proc REG has special options to test collinearity, see "Collinearity Diagnostics" topic in SAS help for proc REG.

model y=lag1y+lag2y+X1+X2/ tol vif collin;

switches on the diagnostics.

Sincerely,
SPR
sasuser1000
Calcite | Level 5
Hi SPR,

I know about VIF, I just wanted to know how to deal with the multicollinearity between two lag of y lag1 and lag2? What can I do to reduce the multicollinearity in this case, because the multicolinearity between 2 lags of Y will always be there. How to correct for it?

Best,
Shira
proctice
Quartz | Level 8
You can't do this properly with Proc Reg. You need Proc arima to address the auto correlation between adjacent observations.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation