BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Miracle
Barite | Level 11
Hi everyone.

Sorry that this is not really a SAS question but i know many of you will be able to help me especially if this is too easy. Is it always the case that if we don't account for the clustering that we may underestimate the standard error? Under what circumstances and why that standard errors will be either overestimated and underestimated?

Thanks in advance. Have a great weekend.
2 REPLIES 2
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Cluster, as in a clustered sample survey? Or, cluster, as in a feature of the data? Though I'm not sure that it matters.

One can easily construct a data set in which the SE for the naive estimator (e.g. un-clustered) is greater than that for the adjusted estimator.

In general, model based adjustment reduces the error term. That's one of the main reasons for modeling. Occasionally, it can increase the error term; that may be because a (some) predictor(s) are not related to the outcome. It can also happen if the model has the wrong functional form.

An exhaustive answer to your question is the subject for a book.
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ
If you ignore positive correlation within clusters you will underestimate the standard errors of time-independent predictors and overestimate the standard errors of time-dependent predictors. The opposite is true for negative correlation.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation