BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
mdsaraiv
Fluorite | Level 6

I am doing analysis of a scores ( 0 to 5) taken repeatedly over time (21 consecutive sectionsequally spaced)  in two treatment groups. Since it is not normally distributed which would be the best statistical procedure? I am not statistician, I am epidemiologist. I usually work with repeated measures with normal distribution using mixed models and so.. but I am having trouble to get the best analysis for these scores. I was reading about harsh models but I am not sure if it would be appropriate. Would rasch model appropriated? It would sum up items for individuals but I am not sure if it would work. It is the same measure over time. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

I would certainly start with PROC GEE, as Rick states, and in particular I would look at this example in the documentation:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/statug/68162/HTML/default/viewer.htm#statug_gee_examples...

More generally, I would use PROC GLIMMIX, and treat the data as coming from a multinomial distribution.  However, in GLIMMIX as opposed to GEE, the model will be fit as conditional on the random effect, rather than as a marginal over the random effect (which is time in this case).  The marginal log odds ratios will tend to be biased toward the mean compared to the conditional log odds ratios.

Steve Denham

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

I'm not an expert, but I think generalized estimating equations (GEEs) are the generalizaton you are looking for.  SAS released the GEE procedure in SAS/STAT 13.2.

If you are running an older version of SAS, there are some GEE options in PROC GENMOD. For ideas, read this 2006 paper on "Analyzing Ordinal Repeated Measures Data Using SAS" which shows several examples. An even older paper is this 1997 paper on "Repeated Measures Analysis with Discrete Data Using the SAS System."  

mdsaraiv
Fluorite | Level 6
Thanks so much, I will read and see if makes sense for my data. I will get
back if it works.

##- Please type your reply above this line. Simple formatting, no
attachments. -##
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

I would certainly start with PROC GEE, as Rick states, and in particular I would look at this example in the documentation:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/statug/68162/HTML/default/viewer.htm#statug_gee_examples...

More generally, I would use PROC GLIMMIX, and treat the data as coming from a multinomial distribution.  However, in GLIMMIX as opposed to GEE, the model will be fit as conditional on the random effect, rather than as a marginal over the random effect (which is time in this case).  The marginal log odds ratios will tend to be biased toward the mean compared to the conditional log odds ratios.

Steve Denham

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation