BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
JJBDubois
Fluorite | Level 6

I often have to analyze data where the dependent,  independent, or both variables were recorded in bins (intervals), when they really should have been recorded as continuous. Most of the time, the intervals are not even equal, and the highest is unbounded.

For example price of an item= $0-20, $21-100, $101-500, $501-5000, $5001 and up.

Say that price is a function of weight of the item, which is measured exactly to the nearest gram. Maybe these are truffles...

What is the best way to salvage this situation, and build a regression model of price as a function of weight? Rick Wicklin has some posts that seem close to this, such as http://blogs.sas.com/content/iml/2013/04/17/quantile-regression-vs-binning.html , but I am unsure.

Looking forward to all suggestions!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JJBDubois
Fluorite | Level 6

Since the situation described can be viewed as a matter of interval censoring, UCLA's  Institute for Digital Research and Education statistics resources suggest using PROC LIFEREG. http://stats.idre.ucla.edu/sas/dae/interval-regression/

The original suggestion can be found on page 145-146 of one of that article's citations: Long, J. S. 1997. Regression Models for Categorical and Limited Dependent Variables. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

If you are mostly just interested in assessing how weight increases price, you might just consider price as ordinal and fit an ordinal logistic model such as in PROC LOGISTIC. This would avoid having to quantify the spacing of the response levels.

JJBDubois
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you. I never think of logistic regression. I won't be able to state something like this, though:  "every 1 gram increment in weight is associated with a $26.43 increase in price", as I would if the price data had been recorded exactly and I used linear regression.

Or am I not realising something?

JJBDubois
Fluorite | Level 6

Since the situation described can be viewed as a matter of interval censoring, UCLA's  Institute for Digital Research and Education statistics resources suggest using PROC LIFEREG. http://stats.idre.ucla.edu/sas/dae/interval-regression/

The original suggestion can be found on page 145-146 of one of that article's citations: Long, J. S. 1997. Regression Models for Categorical and Limited Dependent Variables. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation