BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

That note is from Proc Glimmix. Is there a systematic way to compare the "pseudo-data" from two models?

PG

PG
3 REPLIES 3
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Not yet agreed upon, which makes fitting R side models with different covariance structures a problem if the mean and variance are functionally related (i.e., every distribution available except normal and lognormal).

As far as actually comparing the pseudo-data, the closest I can imagine is comparing the residuals between competing models.  That would give the difference between the "converged pseudo-data" and the original data, so with different structures you would get different residuals.  Maybe from there one could calculate a PRESS value that could be compared.  Until someone (probably someone active in the lmer/glmer listserves in the R communities) gets around to it, I think the most logical thing to do is avoid the pseudo-data if at all possible, and use numerical integration methods.

Steve Denham

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Thanks, Steve. Your explanation is way above my head! Can you suggest a reference to help me understand the concept of pseudo-data? - PG

PG
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Start with the first edition of SAS for Mixed Models by Littell et al., and the precursor to PROC GLIMMIX--the %GLIMMIX macro.  It is in Chapter 11, and all of the code is in the back somewhere.

The pseudo-data is best defined in Wolfinger and O'Connell (1993) "Generalized Linear Mixed Models: A Pseudo-Likelihood Approach", Journal of Statistical Computation and Simulation, 48:233-243..

And there is a very good matrix intense presentation in Chapter 4.5.1 of Walt Stroup's Generalized Linear Mixed Models.

The pseudo-data are the linearized elements achieved after each step of the optimization, and so are dependent on the covariance structure imposed in the process--so IC values, and even likelihood ratio tests are, well, somewhat questionable when the expected value and the variance are functionally related and non-separable as for Gaussian and lognormal distributions.

Steve Denham

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 2 in conversation