Programming the statistical procedures from SAS

proc surveyselect for random sample of claims detail

Frequent Contributor

I have a large (like 1 billion+ obs) table (actually many quarterly tables) of claims (header (unique claim number) and detail(1-n supporting lines for the unique claim number) combined, ie, 1 header + 5 detail lines yields 5 combined lines).  We have been asked to provide a random sample of claims data from this source.  This means that I need to provide all detail lines for a randomly selected claim.  Is it possible for proc surveyselect to do this in a single pass or do I need to take the sample and go back against the source and retrieve the rest of the lines?

Thank you.

Esteemed Advisor

If it is just a simple random sample of size N, I wouldn't use surveyselect.  I.e., if you know how many claims are in the tables, I would just use one of the random number functions (e.g., randnor) with seed 0 and forcing the result to be an integer value from, say, 1 to the number of claims) and sequentially assign the numbers as your read each claim.

If the claim is assigned a pseudo random number <= N then parse and retrieve the record on the fly.

That way you could do it all in one pass.

Grand Advisor

Since you do not post some sample data, It is hard to code.

And i think it is possible for proc surveyselect to do this in a single pass.But I need time

to check documentation.

The following is an example, If you would like.

proc sort data=sashelp.class out=temp(keep=age) nodupkey;
 by age;
run;
proc sort data=sashelp.class;by age;run;
proc surveyselect data=temp method=srs rate=.5 out=sample;run;
data want;
 merge sashelp.class sample(in=in_two);
 by age;
 if in_two;
run;

Ksharp

Ask a Question