BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
momi
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

I have a question about PROC POWER.  For two groups, I can use the code below.  However, for more than two groups (ex.

five groups), I am not sure what the option I need to add to it. Does anyone know?

Thank you!

proc power;
      twosamplefreq test=lrchi
         oddsratio = 2
         refproportion = 0.4
         npergroup = .
         power = 0.9;
   run;
5 REPLIES 5
ballardw
Super User

Generally the options support multiple values and then proc power will calculated for combinations of the parameters provided.

See:

proc power;
      twosamplefreq test=lrchi
         oddsratio = 2 2.5
         refproportion = 0.4 0.5
         npergroup = .
         power = 0.9 0.95;
run;

provides 8 N per group results, 2 (oddsratio parameter values)*2(refproportion values)*2(power parameters).

You can provide different numbers of parameters for each

FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hi @momi,

It seems to me that there is no such option available in PROC POWER (as of SAS/STAT version 14.1).

So, I see two possibilities to calculate the sample size for more than two groups in SAS:

1. You do a simulation: see Empirical Power Simulation for one example (there are probably more elsewhere, maybe in Rick Wicklin's blog or in his book on simulation).
  2. You implement a sample size formula found in the literature.

With option 1 you have maximum flexibility, but option 2 requires less programming effort. The sample size formula I found in Sample Size Calculations in Clinical Research, Second Edition, p. 149, looks promising: I applied it to your two-group example (using macro Bisect found in this paper to solve for the non-centrality parameter involved) and obtained a result of 178.6..., i.e. n=179, while PROC POWER gave n=178.

Obviously, with five groups you have more degrees of freedom, so you would have to specify more input parameters (e.g. odds ratios) than in the two-group case.

ballardw
Super User

It may be that the LOGISTIC section of Proc Power may work to some extant but that's guess without more details.

FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

@momi: Brilliant idea from ballardw (as usual)! Yes, I think you should definitely look into the LOGISTIC statement of PROC POWER. This might be the easiest way to obtain that sample size.

FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hi @momi,

Contrary to my initial perception, the features of the LOGISTIC statement of PROC POWER do not seem to exactly match your requirements.

But I think you can obtain the desired sample size using options 1 and 2 of my earlier post. Please find SAS code below for both options:

First, I determine the required sample size per group for a likelihood-ratio chi-square test to compare k=5 independent proportions with given reference proportion (0.4), odds ratios (3, 2.5, 1.8, 1.5), alpha (0.05) and power (0.90), using the formula mentioned in my earlier post. Then I perform a simulation (with 100,000 iterations) to determine the actual power of the test, given that sample size (run time: about 30 s on my workstation).

In the example, the result is n=87 per group and the estimated actual power is 0.9096 with an exact 95% CI of (0.9078, 0.9113). You can easily compute the power for other values of n by setting, say, %let n=85; and then re-running the simulation (i.e. fine-tune the sample size). As it turns out in this example, even with only n=85 per group the lower 95% confidence limit of the power estimate is 0.9000.

%let k=5;         /* number of groups */
%let alpha=0.05;
%let power=0.90;
%let p0=0.4;      /* reference proportion (in group 0) */
%let oddsr=3 2.5 1.8 1.5; /* list of odds ratios (group 1 vs. group 0, group 2 vs. group 0, ...) */
%let nsim=100000; /* number of iterations in simulation */

%let q=%sysfunc(quantile(chisq,%sysevalf(1-&alpha),&k-1));
%Bisect(cdf('chisq',&q,&k-1,x)=%sysevalf(1-&power),0,1E5,1E-12); /* macro source code from 
                                                   http://analytics.ncsu.edu/sesug/2007/PO21.pdf */

/* Sample size estimation based on formula from
   Chow, S.C., Shao, J., and Wang, H. (2008): Sample Size Calculations in Clinical Research, 2nd ed.,
   Chapman & Hall/CRC Press/Taylor & Francis Group, New York, p. 149 */

data _null_;
array r[0:%eval(&k-1)] _temporary_ (1 &oddsr);
array p[0:1,0:%eval(&k-1)] _temporary_;
do j=0 to &k-1;
  p[1,j]=1/(1+(1/&p0-1)/r[j]);
  P[0,j]=1-p[1,j];
end;
do j=0 to &k-1;
  p0_+p[0,j];
  p1_+p[1,j];
end;
do j=0 to &k-1;
  s+(p[0,j]-p0_/&k)**2/p0_+(p[1,j]-p1_/&k)**2/p1_;
end;
n=ceil(&root/s/&k);
call symputx('n',n);
put 'n = ' n 'per group';
run;

/* Simulation to determine the actual power, given the sample size determined above */

data sim;
call streaminit(314159);
array r[0:%eval(&k-1)] _temporary_ (1 &oddsr);
array p[0:%eval(&k-1)] _temporary_;
do j=0 to &k-1;
  p[j]=1/(1+(1/&p0-1)/r[j]);
end;

do m=1 to ≁
  do g=0 to &k-1;
    y=1; f=rand('binom', p[g], &n); output;
    y=0; f=&n-f; output;
  end;
end;
run;

ods listing close;
ods output ChiSq=stats(keep=statistic prob where=(statistic=:'L'));
proc freq data=sim;
by m;
weight f;
tables y*g / chisq;
run;
ods listing;

data lrchi;
set stats(keep=prob);
sig=(prob<&alpha);
run;

ods exclude BinomialTest;
proc freq data=lrchi;
tables sig / binomial(level='1');
run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 3 in conversation