BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
grzegorz
Calcite | Level 5

Hi community,

I have question about solution of fixed effects in proc glimmix. I have data with following class variables:

ClassLevelsValues
group31 2 3
method3A B C

and one binary variable "y". I have following code:

PROC glimmix data=tmp1.data1;

class group method;

model y=method / solution;

random int / subject=group;

run;

As the result of "solution" i have following table(here is part of it):

effectgroupestimate
intercept

methodA0.3333
methodB

methodC0

My question is: Why the result of effect method: C is equal 0? Why does it estimate the intercept as the Beta_0+Beta_C, method:B as a Beta_B-Beta_C and so on..?

regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
lvm
Rhodochrosite | Level 12 lvm
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

THis is what is supposed to happen. In GLIMMIX (also MIXED, GLM, etc.) an overparameterized model is used.This is needed to properly test for factor effects and get expected values. With three factor levels, you need a model with three parameters, but the overparameterized model has four parameters (intercept, beta_A, beta_B, and beta_C). The last one ends up as 0 in the estimation. For one factor, this means that the intercept is the expected value for the last level (C), and the other parameters are differences from C. For instance, the expected value for A is intercept + beta_A. This is described in the User's Guide.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
lvm
Rhodochrosite | Level 12 lvm
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

THis is what is supposed to happen. In GLIMMIX (also MIXED, GLM, etc.) an overparameterized model is used.This is needed to properly test for factor effects and get expected values. With three factor levels, you need a model with three parameters, but the overparameterized model has four parameters (intercept, beta_A, beta_B, and beta_C). The last one ends up as 0 in the estimation. For one factor, this means that the intercept is the expected value for the last level (C), and the other parameters are differences from C. For instance, the expected value for A is intercept + beta_A. This is described in the User's Guide.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation