BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
nassimasas
Calcite | Level 5

Hello everyone,

By estimating the count data (number of claims per insured) with an inverse Gaussian distribution by the GENMOD procedure SAS, SAS does not take the zero (0) data. Indeed for the dependent variable (number of claims) many contract have a number of claims 0. when I execute the GENMOD procedure with a IG distribution (inverse Gaussian ) these data are not considered (Invalid Response Values).

how do I do in this case to ensure that SAS uses all data including where zero variable for the inverse Gaussian distribution?

thank you in advance

Nassima

4 REPLIES 4
lvm
Rhodochrosite | Level 12 lvm
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

You can't. The inverse gaussian distribution is only defined for nonzero positive values. Same for the gamma.

nassimasas
Calcite | Level 5

Hi, thanks

but I have found in the actuarial literature that the number of claims can be adjusted by an inverse Gaussian distribution

lvm
Rhodochrosite | Level 12 lvm
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I would need to see what they did, because the IG is undefined at 0. One could model the data as a mixture of two distributions, with a different distribution for zeros. But you can only do this in Genmod with discrete distributions. Perhaps PROC FMM.

StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

If your data are counts, then you should consider using a discrete distribution rather than a continuous one.  Count data are typically modeled using Poisson, negative binomial, or zero-inflated versions of those distributions.  Those distributions allow zero values.  Models using these distributions can be fit using PROC GENMOD.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation