BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
pearsoninst
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi All,

Hope you are doing great.

I have a question i dont know if this is a right question to ask.

Is there a way to combine Correlation and Probability . My idea is that if something is correlated to something then what is the probability that will be exactly that much correlated.

For Example Y is depended Variable and X is Dependent .

Correlation = .70

What would be the probability that it will be .70 all the time ..is it a silly thought ?

Regards

Kanchan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
slangan
Obsidian | Level 7

This post might help: Understanding your data- the difference between correlation and conditional probability

http://versionone.vc/correlation-probability/

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
slangan
Obsidian | Level 7

This post might help: Understanding your data- the difference between correlation and conditional probability

http://versionone.vc/correlation-probability/

pearsoninst
Pyrite | Level 9

Thanks this helped 

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

I think you are asking about a parameter in the population and how it is "realized" in a sample taken from the population.

If you have two variables X and Y that are correlated with R=0.7, the question to ask is "if I draw a sample of N pairs of (x,y), what will the correlation be in this sample?"  The field of statistics is essentially dedicated to this question and its generalizations. The basic answer is that if N is very large, then the sample correlation will be very close to 0.7.  Statistics uses tools from mathematics to answer "how close."  In general, the answer doesn't just depend on N, but also on the joint distribution of X and Y.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation