Programming the statistical procedures from SAS

power calculation for counts

Accepted Solution Solved
New Contributor
Accepted Solution

power calculation for counts

Hi,

I have three groups that I compare with a different count as outcome.

I would like to calculate the power for this comparison.

I was thinking of proc glmpower and using Poisson as link function.

However this is not supported.

Is there a macro written and available for use that would be able to support my question?

Thanks, Katrien

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎08-09-2012 08:06 AM
Respected Advisor

Re: power calculation for counts

That is one of the assumptions behind the link function--that it normalizes the data.  For years before good maximum likelihood algorithms existed, data were transformed to meet normality assumptions.  Actually, the preferred transformation for count data was a square root transformation (Sokal and Rohlf, Biometry, 1969).  However, since you indicate that you will probably be analyzing the data using one of SAS's generalized linear model procedures (dist=poisson), and the Poisson distribution defaults to a log link, I suggested transforming using the log.  Warning: If you have zeroes in your dependent variable, you probably ought to transform as log(y + 1). You may want to do some data exploration to check the assumption of having a Poisson distribution (e.g. are the mean and variance approximately equal?, are the data over-represented with zeroes?).  You could find yourself wanting to use a negative binomial distribution (variance>mean) or a zero-inflated Poisson or negative binomial.

An alternative to the log transform would be to use the square root transformation prior to GLMPOWER, and analyze with  LINK=POWER(0.5).

Good luck.

Steve Denham

View solution in original post

All Replies
Respected Advisor

You could try transforming your data prior to using glmpower.  Since the analysis for the Poisson defaults to a log link, that seems like a logical first choice.

Steve Denham

New Contributor

Hi Steve,

Suppose I log transform the data, do you then suggest that I could treat my data as if normal?

Then proc glmpower would work.

Katrien

Solution
‎08-09-2012 08:06 AM
Respected Advisor

That is one of the assumptions behind the link function--that it normalizes the data.  For years before good maximum likelihood algorithms existed, data were transformed to meet normality assumptions.  Actually, the preferred transformation for count data was a square root transformation (Sokal and Rohlf, Biometry, 1969).  However, since you indicate that you will probably be analyzing the data using one of SAS's generalized linear model procedures (dist=poisson), and the Poisson distribution defaults to a log link, I suggested transforming using the log.  Warning: If you have zeroes in your dependent variable, you probably ought to transform as log(y + 1). You may want to do some data exploration to check the assumption of having a Poisson distribution (e.g. are the mean and variance approximately equal?, are the data over-represented with zeroes?).  You could find yourself wanting to use a negative binomial distribution (variance>mean) or a zero-inflated Poisson or negative binomial.

An alternative to the log transform would be to use the square root transformation prior to GLMPOWER, and analyze with  LINK=POWER(0.5).

Good luck.

Steve Denham

New Contributor

Thanks a lot Steve. I will proceed as you suggest.

Nice day, Katrien

☑ This topic is SOLVED.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation