BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deer_dog
Calcite | Level 5

Well, there might be such a thing as a 'stupid question'. I measured a variable having an underlying continuous distribution (distance between two animals: mother and offspring) and calculated median values for these pairs. I mostly used median because distance was divided into some categories that are uneven (larger categories as the distance gets longer).

The distribution of distances ended up being relatively normal with equal variance among groups. Is it possible to use an ANOVA (parametric) to compare these medians rather than a non-parametric test such as Kruskal-Wallis? The ANOVA has the advantage of being able to include two variables at once.

Thanks in advance!

2 REPLIES 2
Ksharp
Super User

My opinion is no.

You can do ANOVA because F statistical estimator .

I don't think you can figure out a way to make a F by using Median .

Ksharp

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

If I understand correctly, you are proposing to compare the median distance between mother and offspring between groups of animals with multiway ANOVA. This distance would define the area around the mother inside which you are likely to find its offspring half the time. You could have used any quantile of the distances. I say: go ahead with the ANOVA. Just never call your measurements mean distances and don't forget to test for interactions.

PG

PG

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation