BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
odlum
Calcite | Level 5

A case-control study was conducted to assess the association between exposure to tobacco smoke (TS) and lung cancer. 300 lifelong nonsmoking lung cancer cases and 1,288 nonsmoking controls were interviewed about exposure to ETS. Let cancer=I(lung cancer), ts= I(exposed to TS), gender=I(female). A logistic regression model was fit using the following SAS code

proc logistic data=cancer  descending;

model cancer/count = ets gender ets*gender; run;

Here is part of the SAS    output.

Analysis of Maximum  Likelihood  Estimates

Parameter

DF

Estimate

Standard

Error

Wald Chi-Square

Pr

> ChiSq

Intercept

<.0001

ts

<.0001

ts*gender

How do you estimate odds lung cancer for males with ETS exposure?

3 REPLIES 3
Reeza
Super User

Look at using the ODDSRATIO statement to determine the odds ratio for a variable in the interaction term.

Note that if your variables are categorical there should be a CLASS statement in your PROC and you should also define the coding type (GLM, REF, etc)

PS I'm going to move this to the Statistical Procedures forum.

odlum
Calcite | Level 5
Thank you.This is one of questions in a problem set_neither complete output or data is given to rerun the codes.How can I determine the odds ratio of lung cancer in males with TS exposure using the information on the estimates in the table?
Reeza
Super User

Ok...then that's a stats question, not a  programming question. 

I have no idea how males/females or treatment are coded but you can calculate the probability by hand if you write the model for males with treatment out and then calculate the estimate. The exponent of that value would be the odds ratio.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation