BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
kurofufu
Calcite | Level 5

I have a list of variables and built a regression model on them. The R-square is 0.1. Are there any ways to improve the predictive power of the model without finding more variables?

3 REPLIES 3
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

At r-square = 0.1, your model has essentially no predictive power. If you give some description of the variables and of the way the observations were acquired (sampling/experimental plan) someone might be able to suggest a better statistical model or at least, alternative data exploration methods and modeling approaches.

PG

PG
kurofufu
Calcite | Level 5

"At r-square = 0.1, your model has essentially no predictive power."

Are you sure? The CMS-HCC model used by CMS to pay private insurance companies has R-square of 0.09. The model my company is using has R-square of 0.1, but it already helped the company save a lot of money.

Variable transformation is one way which possible help improve the model's predictive power. I would like to know what other options I can have without acquiring more variables.

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

It is true that strength of evidence requirements vary a lot across disciplines.  -  To go beyond regression, you might want to consider the model building techniques provided by data mining tools - PG

PG

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation