BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
alicewong
Calcite | Level 5

I have a panel data (unbalance, not dynamic data), and I want to use fixed effect to control within individual effects.

The model have simultaneous equations and I want to use GMM to estimate (PROC MODEL with GMM option)

Since there are way more individuals (100+) than periods (several), dummy variable means sacrifice a lot of degree of freedom.  I wonder if mean deviation method would give the same results for GMM, compared with the dummy variable method? I am asking because OLS estimates with fixed effects dummy variables will give the same estimates as the mean deviation method. But for comparison of the two methods for GMM estimation method, I am not sure. Since with GMM estimation method, the instruments used will affect the parameter estimates, hence the comparison may be more complicated.

What I mean by  mean deviation method is that for each person and for each time-varying variable, I compute the means over time for that person.  Then I subtract the person-specific means from the observed values of each variable. Would this mean deviation give the same estimation results as using dummy variables? I want to use the PROC MODEL with GMM and simultaneous equations in SAS to estimate.

Thanks very much,
Alice

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 1 in conversation