BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
proctice
Quartz | Level 8
My outcome is percent per month. Conceptually should I model this as count data or continuous data? or do I graph it and decide based on the shape of the graph? Thanks.
2 REPLIES 2
Dale
Pyrite | Level 9
Whether you view your response as continuous depends on measurement properties of both the numerator and the denominator. If the denominator is the number of days in the month (which I am assuming it is), AND if the numerator is NOT limited to just a few days per month (at any point in the range - that is, whether the few days are near zero or near 15 or near 30), then you could probably treat the response as continuous. However, if either the numerator or the denominator has a restricted range, then treating the response as continuous is probably not reasonable.

How to model the response is another question entirely. You don't indicate whether the relative frequency is near 0 or near 1. If near zero, then you could probably model the response as a count with distribution Poisson or negative binomial and treat log(number of days in the month) as an offset variable. If the relative frequency is closer to 1 and you have a limited response range, then Poisson and negative binomial distributions are probably not reasonable.

In order to advise to any greater degree, we need to know more about the measurement characteristics of your data.
proctice
Quartz | Level 8
The numerator is number of successes. The denominator is number of trials. I have this percent recorded every month for 3 years for 10 subjects.

In my preliminary data:
Outcome #1: ranges from 0% to 67% with mean of 33%.
Outcome #2: ranges from 0 to 33% with mean of 10%. Message was edited by: proctice

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation