BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
klndsy
Calcite | Level 5

**I APOLIGIZE FOR DOUBLE POSTING THIS QUESTION,** but I am getting no bites on the other board.  My question is regarding interpreting the output of a Heckman 2SLS.

Background information: I am exploring how institutional investor presence affects investments and firm performance during recessions.  Yet, there is a bit of a selection issue because institutions may choose to invest in firms which have certain investment strategies or performances.  And so, I employ the Heckman 2SLS model.

My code is:

proc qlim data = data heckit;
model dumhi = dumsp500 capx q lnat salesgrowth lev / discrete;    *selection equation;
model capx q liq salesgrowth vol rec / select(dumhi=1);                  *equation of interest;
run;

In an OLS or fixed effects model, I would estimate the model:

capx = dumhi rec rec*dumhi q liq salesgrowth vol

where the coefficient on the interaction term is the coefficient of interest.

And now my question:
In the second stage of Heckman 2SLS where the inverse mills ratio of my institutional investor equation is included in the estimation of investments, I cannot figure out how to include the institutional investor-recessionary interaction term due to a linearity issue.  

I did include "rec" already -- is this basically the same thing as the interaction variable? I ask this because when we set up the second equation, we are imposing institutional investors = 1. No?
  '
So, does "rec" in the Heckman model essentially tell me the same thing as "rec*dumhi' in OLS model since we are imposing dumhi=1 in the selection criteria? Or am I not clear in my understanding of the model???

Any help or thoughts is appreciated.
2 REPLIES 2
Reeza
Super User

It's a statistical methodology question, you should probably post on CrossValidated (stats.stackexchange.com) as well.  

There are several very smart statisticians on here, but the statistical questions have a longer response time. 

I'm going to move this to statisical procedure forum though it rarely affects response time. 

klndsy
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you for the direction, Reeza!!!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation