BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
andy_wk
Calcite | Level 5

I'm giving you a bit of background before asking my question. I've done a univariate PLS regression where I came out with many models.

My boss asked to interpret the PLS regression for the best model.

As I've never done a PLS before, I don't know how to interpret that.

What does he mean by interpretation?

Thanks for any leads you will be able to give me.

Cheers.

9 REPLIES 9
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Can you share code and output?  Without those, interpretation becomes pretty difficult.  I think by interpretation your boss is asking you--"So I see this equation here.  What can you tell me about it?"

Steve Denham

andy_wk
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Steve,

I will do that tonight. I'm working on something else that needs my full attention, or almost full Smiley Happy

Cheers.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

I've done a univariate PLS regression where I came out with many models.

Normally, when you do a PLS, you get one model, so this needs explanation.

says

--"So I see this equation here.  What can you tell me about it?"

Often, the interpretation of a PLS model refers to loadings and not the final model equation

--
Paige Miller
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Very true.  But there is a model equation, and that has an interpretation--including the new independent variables that are constructed and the loadings of the measured variables onto the components (as the simplest PLS for univariate responses is regression on principal components).

I am guessing that the OP has done a lot regressing a single variable on a battery of observed variables, and thus came up with "many models".  Kind of misses one of the main advantages in PLS, but I think that is what was done.

Steve Denham

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

I have never seen an interpretation of the final PLS model equation; I have only seen interpretations of the loadings and the score plots. Maybe I'm reading the wrong journals.

I am guessing that the OP has done a lot regressing a single variable on a battery of observed variables, and thus came up with "many models".  Kind of misses one of the main advantages in PLS, but I think that is what was done.

As I pointed out, he needs to explain in more detail what he actually did (or wants to do). I was not guessing what you just said you were guessing.

--
Paige Miller
andy_wk
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Everyone,

@Steve : I hope it makes sense. Lots of Box-Jenkins in the program.

I'd be honest, I did not write it and I'm newcomer , feeling like a fraud sometimes , in the statistical domain.

http://pastebin.com/vKpwH6ZV

SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Could you take out the 'noprint' option in the PROC PLS calls, and then share _some_ of the output?  Frankly, I am a lousy macro programmer, and I am not really sure what PLS is doing here.  Some output (perhaps sanitized) will help in determining just what is being done and reported.  I know it would make interpretation easier.

Steve Denham

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

I agree with Steve.

We need you to explain this to us, what you are doing and what you are trying to do, in Plain old English. You know, give us a clear problem statement, and description of the approach you are taking, as if you were writing the abstract to a technical paper. We don't want code, we want understanding.

I do see you have two consecutive PROC PLS blocks, and the code in each is slightly different ... but I have no idea why two PROC PLS blocks with slightly different code are used in the analysis, and to tell you the truth, I doubt I would ever approach it that way (but maybe with more understanding, it might make sense). I also don't see any Box-Jenkins, which to my way of thinking, at this point in time, is probably a good thing.

--
Paige Miller
andy_wk
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Paige and Hi Steve,

I will do that but most likely this weekend as it will be assumption this Friday in Europe and I need to deal with another more pressing issue.

Best,

Andy

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation