BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
jessicaking
SAS Employee

When I run proc hpgenselect using the stepwise selection method I see that "effect hierarchy enforced" is none in the HTML output. I run it against the same data using backward selection method and get that "effect hierarchy enforced" is "single". Is there a way to set this parameter? I've googled this question and read the documentation and haven't been able to find the answer. Let me know!

backward selection method.JPG
2 REPLIES 2
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Please post the code you are submitting.

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

It looks like HPGENSELECT does not support changing the default hierarchy option. If you have a linear model, you can use the HIERARCHY= option in PROC GLMSELECT.  However, for HPGENSELECT, it looks like STEPWISE method always uses 'none' and the BACKWARD method always uses 'single.'  (For a logistic model, PROC LOGISTIC also supports changing the hierarchy option.)

For what it's worth, the defaults are probably what you want. In particular, you would probably NOT want to change the BACKWARD method away from the default.It's not usually a good idea to remove main effects and keep the interaction effects.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation