BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
CamillaSvensson
Calcite | Level 5

In a placebo controlled randomized study invesigating the effect of a drug on weight, blood pressure ect, I found that there is difference in the baseline weight between the two groups (placebo group and active group).

The study has repeated measurements ,and therefore I am using mixed model. To adjust for baseline difference in my outcome weight, I have build this model:

proc mixed data=sasuser.data;

WHERE week > 0;

class id week treat (ref='2');

model weight = week treat treat*week weight0*treat

/solution CL DDFM=KR;

repeated week / subject=id type=un r rcorr;

run;

where weight0 is mean weight at baseline for both groups. As far as I understand, I put it as a covariate (ANCOVA).

However, I want to adjust for other baseline differences, such as age and gender. My question is therefore: How do I do that in the model above? Can I have more than one covariate at the same time?

THANK YOU!

3 REPLIES 3
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Yes, you may have more than one covariate (although gender would most likely be included in the CLASS statement as a categorical covariate).  Get a copy of SAS for Mixed Models, 2nd ed. by Littell et al., and look at Chapter 7 Analysis of Covariance for very good coverage of this subject.

Steve Denham

sld
Rhodochrosite | Level 12 sld
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

You want to use the values of the covariates for each subject (ID), not the group means.

With multiple covariates, I find it useful to remember that my model is now a multiple regression, with all the assumptions and issues associated with multiple regression (multicollinearity, influence, etc.). So in addition to Steve's suggestions (the "bible" for mixed models in SAS, always a good idea), read up on multiple regression. 

Walt Stroup told me this week that the 3rd edition could be out this year. Which would be swell.

PSZ
Calcite | Level 5 PSZ
Calcite | Level 5

Have you got the answer for your question?

I have a question about your data set. Did you add your baseline weight for the follow up studies? For example:

person    visit                    group             weight                                                   bloodpressure

1             baseline             placebo         baseline weight                                      100

2             baseline              active             baseline weight                                      101

1             visit1                  placebo         baseline weight or visit1 weight?            100

2            visit1                  active              baseline weight or visit1 weight?             101

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation