BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
claw13
Calcite | Level 5

Hi all,

I have data with around 60,000 observations. I need to calculate age adjusted mortality rates from it. I have variable Died (1 0) and AGE as continuous variable. I also have variable WEIGHT. how do I calculate age adjusted mortality rate?

can somebody please give me an example code or guide to appropriate link.

Appreciate your help in advance!

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

That's a million dollar question for life insurers! Read the introduction to SAS survival analysis procedures at :

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/statug/63962/HTML/default/viewer.htm#introsurv_toc.htm

PG

PG
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Claw13,

Unless you also have a time-to-death variable, you need to be using logistic regression rather than the survival analysis that PG pointed to.  The syntax is in the documentation and Paul Allison has an excellent BBU with the how-to.  Interpreting risk adjusted estimates can be challenging at times.

If your WEIGHT variable is how heavy a person is, then it is just another control variable.  If it is a sampling weight, then there is a WEIGHT statement to address it.  IF you have results from a formal sample-survey design, you may be better served by using PROC SURVEYLOGISTIC (and by consulting with an expert in sample survey analysis!).

Doc Muhlbaier

Duke

claw13
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you for reply.

Sorry but I don't know what you mean by "BBU" (I am new to forum). I am not sure how to get percentage rate from logistic regression (it gives odds ratio. right?)

I am looking for death from disease "X". I dont have time variable. I need to get age and sex adjusted mortality rate.

Let me know if following is the correct way.

for example

10/100 people died from disease "X" . so crude mortality is 10%.

now I do logistic regression (model died= diseaseX age gender) and if I get odds ratio of 1.25.

So age and gender adjustment adds around 25% additional mortality. so 25% of crude mortality (10%) will be 2.5%.

So the age and gender adjusted mortality from disease X is 10% +2.5% = 12.5%

IS THIS CORRECT OR AM I COMPLETELY WRONG?

Reeza
Super User

Wrong Smiley Happy.

At least I think so.

Check this link and see if it makes sense.

Age-Adjusted Rate Definition

Basically you don't age adjust to your population but to some standard population so all age adjusted ratio's can be compared across locations/regions etc.

RIGHT Smiley Happy

If you're running a model and calculating mortality rates for a paper and would like to adjust for the age factor, ie age adjusted rates then the you would add age into the model. But I don't think your calculation of how to adjust is accurate either. You'll need to reference a logisitic regression book for that one.

Or I could be wrong entirely. It depends on your question and we need some more info on what you're trying to do to help answer that.

Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Seconding Reeza -- you need to read a good book on Logistic Regression, rather than asking for a tutorial on the statistical principles here. 

"BBU" stands for "Books By Users" and you can find them on support.sas.com in the bookstore.  Paul Allison has a useful ones on Logistic Regression (there are others, I've read his) and he also does live training.

Doc Muhlbaier

Duke

psj2
Calcite | Level 5

just to add: if "adjustment" in the sense of "standardization" is meant, then proc stdrate could be of help, see

https://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings13/423-2013.pdf

which is a very nice thing I discovered recently.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation