BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
psh23
Fluorite | Level 6

I am using proc phreg to estimate hazard ratios, my model is as follows: 

time*event(0) = week|avg education race;

random zipcode;

I would like to get the hazard ratio for 'week'. I was originally doing this by hand by summing the estimate from week and the interaction term, but assume there is a way to do this using estimate/contrast? 

Thank you!

5 REPLIES 5
Reeza
Super User

Try a HAZARDRATIO statement instead. Much simpler syntax. 

pau13rown
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

youdont have week as a main factor in the model, just in the interaction? you'll need to use 'at' in the hazardratio statement @Reeza suggested, see here: https://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/statug/63033/HTML/default/viewer.htm#statug_phreg_sect0...

psh23
Fluorite | Level 6

When I use the hazardratio statement I cannot recreate what I get when I am summing the coefficients by hand. This is why I wasn't using it initially - is there a specification that needs to be made?

Example:

EstimateExp summed estimateHazard Ratio from SAS
average0.0001960.9997636280.995
week-0.0002121  
week*average-0.0000243  
pau13rown
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

are you doing it by hand or in a data step? it could be rounding error, calculate the hr in a data step as exp(estimate). Also did you use 'at' in the hazard ratio statement? if you just sum them up then it's at average=1?

Reeza
Super User

99% of the time the error is with the hand calculation. 

Do it with a data step so you can't get any typo's or rounding errors and post your code if it still doesn't match.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation