BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
kwa
Calcite | Level 5 kwa
Calcite | Level 5
Dear community members,

I am using PROC REG with the REG= option to obtain a ridge regression. I have done the following;

Plotted the ridge estimates against λ.

Chosen λ for which the coefficient estimates are not rapidly changing and have sensible signs.

I know this method ‎has no specific objective basis and is heavily criticised by others.

However my question is as follows, how can I get the p values, t values and standard errors for my  selected choice of  λ ? I seem only to get the ‎regression coefficients which are different from the ridge regression that was un tuned for ‎λ.‎

Any help will be greatly appreciated 

Best ,
Ka‎
6 REPLIES 6
kwa
Calcite | Level 5 kwa
Calcite | Level 5
Dear community members,
I am using PROC REG with the REGo= option to obtain a ridge regression. I have done the following;

Plotted the ridge estimates against λ.

Chosen λ for which the coefficient estimates are not rapidly changing and have sensible signs.

I know this method ‎has no specific objective basis and us heavily criticised by others.

However my question is as follows, how can I get the p values, t values andd Standard errors for my  selected choice of  λ ? I seem only to get the regression coefficients

Best 
Kw
Reeza
Super User

https://blogs.sas.com/content/iml/2017/01/09/ods-output-any-statistic.html

See the examples above with the instructions on how to save statistics and output. 

@kwa wrote:
Dear community members,

I am using PROC REG with the REG= option to obtain a ridge regression. I have done the following;

Plotted the ridge estimates against λ.

I know this method ‎has no specific objective basis and is heavily criticised by others.

However my question is as follows, how can I get the p values, t values and standard errors for my  selected choice of  λ ? I seem only to get the ‎regression coefficients which are different from the ridge regression that was un tuned for ‎λ.‎

Best ,
Ka‎

kwa
Calcite | Level 5 kwa
Calcite | Level 5
Thank you reeza. Would anyone know the specific code in proc reg to get the p values, t values andd Standard errors for my  selected choice of  λ ?
Reeza
Super User

We can’t see your code so at this point probably not. Please post your code. 

The instructions on in the l8nk have enough information to show you how to obtain the values. Include what you’ve tried so far as well. 

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

You can use the OUTSEB option to get the standard errors for the RIDGE estimates in the outest= data set:. However, I don't think the estimates follow a t distribution, so you don't get test statistics or p-values. If you want p-values, I think you will need to bootstrap.

The estimates are biased, so it's not clear to me that the p-values will be useful.

proc reg outest=est ridge=0.02 outseb;
   model Y=x1 x2 x3 ;
run;

proc print data=est(where=(_TYPE_ contains "RIDGE"));
run;

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

You can use the OUTSEB option to get the standard errors for the RIDGE estimates in the outest= data set:. However, I don't think the estimates follow a t distribution, so you don't get test statistics or p-values. If you want p-values, I think you will need to bootstrap.

The estimates are biased, so it's not clear to me that the p-values will be useful.

proc reg outest=est ridge=0.02 outseb;
   model Y=x1 x2 x3 ;
run;

proc print data=est(where=(_TYPE_ contains "RIDGE"));
run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation