BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
palolix
Obsidian | Level 7

Dear SAS Community,

My design is a factorial split-plot; main plots consisted of a 2-factor factorial design (nem and trt). Main plots were divided into 2-subplots, each cropped to a different cultivar. Since a different cereal was cropped every year in the plots, to compare the response var (pop) between cereals, cereal was analyzed as strip factor within the split plot model.

I would like to know is this model is correct:

proc mixed data=one;

class blk nem trt cultivar cereal;

model pop=nem|trt|cultivar|cereal/ddfm=kr;

random intercept nem*trt cereal nem*cereal trt*cereal nem*trt*cereal cultivar*cereal nem*cultivar*cereal trt*cultivar*cereal/subject=blk;

run;

I would greatly appreciate your comments!

Thank you,

Caroline

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

The random terms all look correct for a strip plot, I just worry about calculating four-way interactions with any degree of precision unless you have a LOT of data.  IF the model converges, then the tests should have the right degrees of freedom and compare the correct quadratic forms.  Seems a big IF to me, though.

Steve Denham

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

The random terms all look correct for a strip plot, I just worry about calculating four-way interactions with any degree of precision unless you have a LOT of data.  IF the model converges, then the tests should have the right degrees of freedom and compare the correct quadratic forms.  Seems a big IF to me, though.

Steve Denham

palolix
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you very much for your help dear Steve!! it did work and also converged Smiley Happy  for all dependent variables. Since I do not have missing values maybe I should use satherwaite instead of kr....do you agree?

Thank you Steve!!

Caroline

SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Hi Caroline,

Too many variance components with different degrees of freedom.  Be pragmatic about this, how much gain (or loss) in power do you get from the shrinkage part of KR, as opposed to the combining of variances using Satterthwaite's method?  Just look at the standard error of the difference for trt or nem as a guidance.

Steve Denham

palolix
Obsidian | Level 7

the SE for the difference between nem or trt is the same value (0.06268) when using kr, satterwaithe or nothing.

SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Not surprised with completely balanced data, and no repeated measures.

Steve Denham

palolix
Obsidian | Level 7

Appreciate your comments Steve. Thank you!

Caroline

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation