BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
DDK
Obsidian | Level 7 DDK
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello,

Probably a very simple question for the slightly experienced statisticians.

I want to use the estimate statement to calculate the parameter estimate of an interaction of a continuous variable with a categorical variable in PROC MIXED. I understand that one of the betas in the 'solutions for fixed effects' is set at 0 or the reference (at least I thought I understood).

Lets say I have:

proc mixed data=test.components;

class treatment homogeneous;

model bwcomp=treatment  homogeneous husacomp treatment*husacomp;

estimate  'test'  husacomp 1 treatment*husacomp 1 0

run;

The solution for fixed effects states for the estimates:

intercept

Treatment A

Treatment B

Homogeneous mix

Homogeneous uni

husacomp

Husacomp*treatment A

Husacomp*treatment B

The estimate statement for Husacomp*treatment A will give the estimate -0.1745, which is 0.7271-0.9016. If I run the estimate statement for B it will give 0.7271.

If I run the following model:

proc mixed data = test.components;

class treatment homogeneous;

model bwcomp = treatment  homogeneous husacomp treatment*husacomp homogeneous*husacomp;

estimate  'test'  husacomp 1 treatment*husacomp 1 0

run;

I get:

intercept

Treatment A

Treatment B

Homogeneous mix

Homogeneous uni

husacomp

Husacomp*treatment A

Husacomp*treatment B

Husacomp*homogeneous mix0.3269
Husacomp*homogeneous uni0

And the estimate statement returns -0.1297 for for Husacomp*treatment A. I don't seem to understand how this number is achieved. I'm probably doing something stupid and am missing out on something. I'm not too versed with the estimate statement and if anyone could help me, it would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

OK, I think I see what the problem might be.  Correct me if I am wrong in this assumption, but I believe husacomp is a continuous variable and you want to know how to include a unit change in husacomp in the estimate.  In the second model, I am certain that something is going on with homogeneous*husacomp.  The best diagnostic I can offer right off the top of my head is to add the E option to your ESTIMATE statement--I think there is a term in the L matrix that is not captured with just the coefficients you entered (no guarantee on this, though).  Try it and see if that is at all possible.

A quick calculation shows that the result is .5788 + (-0.8719) + 0.5 * (0.3269), so it looks like the L matrix is averaging over the coefficients for homogeneous*husacomp, in order to "remove" any effects there.

Steve Denham

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

OK, I think I see what the problem might be.  Correct me if I am wrong in this assumption, but I believe husacomp is a continuous variable and you want to know how to include a unit change in husacomp in the estimate.  In the second model, I am certain that something is going on with homogeneous*husacomp.  The best diagnostic I can offer right off the top of my head is to add the E option to your ESTIMATE statement--I think there is a term in the L matrix that is not captured with just the coefficients you entered (no guarantee on this, though).  Try it and see if that is at all possible.

A quick calculation shows that the result is .5788 + (-0.8719) + 0.5 * (0.3269), so it looks like the L matrix is averaging over the coefficients for homogeneous*husacomp, in order to "remove" any effects there.

Steve Denham

lvm
Rhodochrosite | Level 12 lvm
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

There have been several posts, with answers, on the coding and meaning of interactions of factors and continuous variables.

DDK
Obsidian | Level 7 DDK
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you SteveDenham for the  useful and very helpful answer (indeed husacomp is a continuous variable). I see how to manually calculate it now. When the e option is entered for the second model I get:

Effect treatment homogeneous Row1

Intercept      
treatment HuSA    
treatment PBS    
homogeneous   mix  
homogeneous   uniform  
husacomp     1
husacomp*treatment HuSA   1
husacomp*treatment PBS    
husacomp*homogeneous   mix 0.5
husacomp*homogeneous   uniform 0.5

Which would mean (as I understand it) that with the estimate statement from the second model I am purely looking at what the effect is of a 1 unit increase in husacomp in the HuSA group (the class variable) on BWcomp (which is what I was interested in, to specifically indicate what the effect was of that interaction). 

(I know that there are other posts handling interactions, but I did not seem to get (or likely, understand) the answer from those posts.)

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation