BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
hi,

i've been stuck on this forever. I've created dummy variables and need to run a stepwise regression using proc reg. do i keep my referent variable in the model? or out of the model?
for example if age is outcome and race is what i created dummies for and 'other' is referent do i use brackets? and leave out the referent? or include all + the referent?

using referent:
proc reg data = XYZ
model age = { asian american dutch } edu SES / selection = stepwise ........groupnames='race'; run;

including referent:

proc reg data = XYZ;
model age = asian american dutch other edu / selection = stepwise.....;run;?????

if it's the first and edu is included and SES is not? does anyone know how to interpret that interms of the referent group???? should i be using proc logistic instead when using dummy variables?
2 REPLIES 2
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
If you have SAS 9.2, use the GLMSELECT procedure.

If you are using earlier versions, and the model is that straight-forward, I would use GLM and manually implement the stepwise algorithm by looking at the criteria.

Your referent approach is the only one that really works in REG (otherwise you have a singular design matrix, AKA over-specified model), but you don't have the option of grouping the other levels and that can become a problem.

Doc Muhlbaier
Duke
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
See this thread for a more complete discussion

http://support.sas.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=23573尕

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation