BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
nlpurumi
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi. I chose to run proc glimmix instead of proc mixed because when I test shapiro wilk's test in proc mixed, the normality assumption was violated even after tranformation.

However, when I choose distribution of gamma instead of default distribution (gaussian), the model does not converge.

Is there any solution for this?

Should I still seek a model to converge when the distribution is gamma not gaussian?

Or can I go with gaussian distribution even the normality assumption was violated?

Thanks for your advice in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
Ksharp
Super User

You could try different initial value. Check PARAM statement.

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Given enough observations, the normality checking tests will always give significant results. First, make sure you don't have an outlier problem. Then, if your residuals distribution has a single mode and not too much skewness, go with the gaussian analysis.

If you really have to model your data as gamma, then post your code for more help.

PG
nlpurumi
Obsidian | Level 7

So do you mean it is not a problem to do gaussian distribution even when the purpose of running proc glimmix is because I thought my data is non-normally distributed?

Thanks.

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

> So do you mean it is not a problem to do gaussian distribution even when the purpose of running proc glimmix is because I thought my data is non-normally distributed?

It is not a problem, but I think you are misquoting the purpose of glimmix.

The assumptions for general linear regression models are that the residuals (not the data) are normally (and independently) distributed with constant variance. Generalized linear models (eg, PROC GENMOD) support alternative residual structures such as Poisson regression where the variance is assumed to vary, as well as non-normal error distributions.  PROC GLIMMIX supports generalized linear models with random effects. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation