BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
ShawnZ
Calcite | Level 5

Hi all,

I'm trying to determine the relationship between student absent days and their proficiency level. I want to know at what point/percentile of absence days would there be a significant proficiency change.

For example, the proficiency can be binomial (pass, fail), the absent days level can be a continuous variable at range of 0%-100%. What would be the best steps to determine the cut-off point for absent days level where you can see the most significant change in proficiency?

I think 'proc logistic' would fit the problem but I'm not sure how to get the right cut-off point.

Any ideas or comments will be much appreciated!

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Proficiency should decrease smoothly with increasing absence, you can request to estimate the absence level for different proficiency tresholds with PROC PROBIT. Something like:

proc probit data=myData plot=predplot;

class passFail;

model passFail = absence / lackfit inversecl;

run;

PG

PG

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Reeza
Super User

I think it's more like a CART with only one predictor. 

I don't know how to implement that in BASE SAS though.

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Proficiency should decrease smoothly with increasing absence, you can request to estimate the absence level for different proficiency tresholds with PROC PROBIT. Something like:

proc probit data=myData plot=predplot;

class passFail;

model passFail = absence / lackfit inversecl;

run;

PG

PG
1zmm
Quartz | Level 8

The MODEL statement of PROC LOGISTIC has a CTABLE option that estimates and prints the sensitivity, the specificity, the percent false positives, and the percent false negatives at each cutpoint of the probability predicted from the model.  The OUTPUT statement can write these predicted probabilities corresponding to each level of absence day.  Therefore, you can appreciate the trade-offs at different cutpoints of the predicted probabilities.

ShawnZ
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks all, that was very helpful!

I tried both PG and 1zmm's methods. They both worked great. IMO I think PROC PROBIT provide a clearer result to me as well as nice probability plot. Although I think PROC LOGISTIC can do probability plot as well, using ESTPROB option maybe?

I also find that specify certain cut-off point in CONTRAST in PROC LOGISTIC can also be helpful for such case. Like:

model passFail  = absent / link= probit;

contrast '1%' intercept 1 absent 0.01 / estimate=prob;

contrast '10%' intercept 1 absent 0.10 / estimate=prob;

Anyway, thanks for the help again!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 4 in conversation