BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
xianweiw
Calcite | Level 5

Hi, I have some questions about how to create survival curve when I consider some other covariates. Although I have referred to Example 64.1 (9.2 user guide), I also face some difficulty. In the example, there are only two interested covariates which are used to divide the two groups and are the category variables. If I have more than two covariates which include even up to 10 covariates or numerical variables, it is not easy to divide groups using the covariates. How should I create the survival curves when I consider much more covariates which include numerical variables?  thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Cynthia's response #2 in http://communities.sas.com/thread/31692?tstart=0 is the way to do it unless you are going to stratify on the variables rather than model them.  However, you can't stratify on a continuous variable, so you are back to fixing the level of each covariate and computing the estimate of the curve at that level.  See Harrell's Regression Modeling Strategies book for more on the theory and process.

I would typically draw a curve for each of the levels of the categorical variable of interest (e.g. treatment) and set the other variables to a default value (e.g. male sex) or to a mean (e.g. for age).  You can do this incorporating both stratification and modeling variables.

Doc Muhlbaier

Duke

xianweiw
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks a lot. You are right. Just as what you said, I want to use only one categorical variable of interest (eg. treatment) for stratification while others (confounding factors such as age, sex, hypertension, and so on.) for modeling variables (eg. model  death=age sex hypertension; treatment used as stratification). I perform it using SPSS, but can't operate it using SAS. Could you give me suggestion about which books I would refer to? or please provide me with brief codes as an example for me? thanks again.

Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

SAS has Books By Users by both Cantor and Allison on Survival analysis; both are readable.  Closer at hand for you is the SAS manual.  For instance, example 66.3 in the SAS 9.3 section of the SAS/Stat manual seems to fit your situation pretty well:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/statug/63962/HTML/default/viewer.htm#statug_phreg_sect04...

SAS 9.3 has made significant enhancements to the ODS statistical graphics, which may help you on drawing the plots (I don't think that the syntax has changed materially.)

xianweiw
Calcite | Level 5

First, thanks for your help. but  example 66.3 in the SAS 9.3 section of the SAS/Stat manual is just generally Cox regression, and doesn't provide how to create survival curve based on groups. I just want to create two survival curve by groups (based on one category variable such as treatment) considering confounding factors like age, sex. I know the Proc Lifetest can create two survival curve without considering other confounding factors.

Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

In SAS 9.3, simply specify /plots=survival.  It's in the manual.

xianweiw
Calcite | Level 5

thank you a lot. I will try it according to what you said.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation