Programming the statistical procedures from SAS

choosing the right PROC to analyse categorical response variable vs. 3 categorical explanatory varia

Accepted Solution Solved
Contributor
Accepted Solution

choosing the right PROC to analyse categorical response variable vs. 3 categorical explanatory varia

Hi,

I am not sure which PROC to choose to analyse the following model, I would greatly appreciate any advices:

the model:

PROC (I used GLIMMIX to start) data=mydata;

class a  b c ID;

Y= a|b|c;

/* Y is a categorical variable that can take 9 values: from 3 to 9 (= number of days)*/

/* a is the population name*/

/*b is a categorical variable (treatment 1) with 3 values: 1, 2, 3 for example */

/* c is categorical variable (treatment 2) with 2 values: 1, 2 for example*/

/* ID= individual, each individual has 4 replicates*/

random int/sub=ID(a);

run;

I started with PROC GLIMMIX, it works fine but I am not sure it is designed fir Y categorical variable?

Thanks for your help!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎04-22-2016 07:42 AM
Respected Advisor

Re: choosing the right PROC to analyse categorical response variable vs. 3 categorical explanatory v

I don't think you have to consider number of days as a categorical variable.  If it is a duration, you may want to consider fitting with a gamma distribution, and if it is a count of days  (sucha as days when a condition is observed), you may want to consider fitting with a Poisson distribution.

If your research question restricts the dependent variable to being a categorical variable, then you should consider fitting with multinomial distribution and an appropriate link function (most likely a cumulative logit).

Your current approach assumes that the residuals of the model fit a Gaussian distribution.  Take a look at the diagnostic plots to see if that is an appropriate assumption.

Steve Denham

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
‎04-22-2016 07:42 AM
Respected Advisor

Re: choosing the right PROC to analyse categorical response variable vs. 3 categorical explanatory v

I don't think you have to consider number of days as a categorical variable.  If it is a duration, you may want to consider fitting with a gamma distribution, and if it is a count of days  (sucha as days when a condition is observed), you may want to consider fitting with a Poisson distribution.

If your research question restricts the dependent variable to being a categorical variable, then you should consider fitting with multinomial distribution and an appropriate link function (most likely a cumulative logit).

Your current approach assumes that the residuals of the model fit a Gaussian distribution.  Take a look at the diagnostic plots to see if that is an appropriate assumption.

Steve Denham

Contributor

Hello Steve,

thank you very much for your answer.

The variable "number of days" is more a date than a count variable. Value "3" means we observed that trait (=spores from a fungi) three days after the beginning of the experiment, value 4=four days after the beginning and so on.

I thought the number of days has to be categorical because it can ONLY take few values. For some samples, only values 3, 4 and 5 (meaning that we observed that trait day number 3, 4 and 5 after thet start of the experiment). If Y is only 3, 4 and 5 can I fit a gamma distribution?

Thanks again!

Valued Guide
Valued Guide

Yes, you can consider it to be gamma.

Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Is "spores from a fungi" actually a response variable, maybe a count (number of spores) or maybe binary (whether spores were observed on a given day) or maybe the first day on which spores were observed after the beginning of the experiment? Perhaps "number of days" is actually an explanatory variable? I can't tell from your description. We would need more detail to be of more help.

☑ This topic is SOLVED.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation