Programming the statistical procedures from SAS

can phreg modeling with competing risks be run with recurrent events?

New Contributor nov
New Contributor

can phreg modeling with competing risks be run with recurrent events?

I would get competing risk for people with multiple hospitalizations.  As I knew, sas9.4 is able to get competing risks for one event per person. Can I get competing risks for multiple events per person?

Thanks!

Super Contributor

Re: can phreg modeling with competing risks be run with recurrent events?

Somehow, I find your wish a bit selfcontradicting.Using a competingrisk model means exactly that persons are not in risk of any of the outcomes when the first outcome has occured. A competingrisk model is therefore not the right model analyzing recurrent events.

But, what you can do is to model the recurrent events with a Cox-model using either time since last event. You can thereby have more events per person in a Cox-model, just restart the time at each event.  Or you can have time since beginning of trial as underlying time axis, then you should have the last timepoint as a left-truncation on the time at risk (you can find an example here: SAS/STAT(R) 13.2 User's Guide)

The other eventtypes can be taken into account by constructing a timedependent covariate that counts numbers of the other event type.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation